'Black lives matter' —Mark Zuckerberg, who says Facebook may change policy on state violence, voter suppression

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/05/black-lives-matter-mark.html

4 Likes

May change policy. Them’s strong words! /s

32 Likes

A Facebook voter hub. That sounds… rife with possibilities. It took me some time to find the words.

20 Likes

35 Likes

Talk is getting cheaper by the day.

17 Likes

Zuckerbot fire-extingusher mode, on!

12 Likes

That elephant peeking out from behind all the we’s is the fact that one man, and a pretty poor excuse for one at that, has ultimate control of this behemoth that shapes our lives, our country, and our world. We can discuss and analyze all we wish, but if Mr Z doesn’t like the result he’ll do what he wants instead. The rest of we miss the point when we insist that a Zuckerberg or a Bezos or a Murdoch should behave responsibly. It’s immoral, not to mention insane, for a single individual to hold that much power over our very existence.

16 Likes

10 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking. So many words, so little actual purpose. Fucking do it or don’t, Mark.

5 Likes

A textbook example of doing the absolute minimum to keep us rubes from abandoning his money factory. It could have meant something if it wasn’t so patently soulless a statement.

But what do you expect of a person with no spark left within him?

4 Likes

The divisions you’ve helped exacerbate and inflame? Okay then.

The problem is that Facebook is now a megacorp that sees itself as the only place free expression should occur.

I am not sure how you do both. If you let people spread misinformation and call for race wars, that runs counter to the idea of racial justice.

Yes, just not the sort of restrictions you’re thinking of. Basically this amounts to letting people spread shit more easily when there isn’t an active conflict.

We don’t need new products mate, we need you to stop amplifying hate.

Really? Don’t get me wrong, voting is important, but do you think racial justice would be on the radar come November if it weren’t for the protests?

3 Likes

Pfft. Mark Zuckerberg died of the Rona weeks ago. I read it on Facebook.

9 Likes

Guess it’s worth posting a second time:

Wow, Zuckerberg, it’s really hard to say something even less credible than what falls out of Trump’s mouth these days, but I think you nailed it.

10 Likes

the real pain expressed by members of our community

Is he talking about the product or the stock?

1 Like

I had a bad feeling when I saw how long the post was. It’s worse than I thought.

In item 3, he states, “ Our current policy is that if content is actually inciting violence, then the right mitigation is to take that content down – not let people continue seeing it behind a flag. There is no exception to this policy for politicians or newsworthiness.“ Yet, he didn’t take down the content that incited violence and led to actual violence. So this “policy” means nothing.

If you read item 4, it is clear that Zuckerberg is the final arbiter of what gets posted or taken down from Facebook. If you use that platform, this should disturb you greatly. If you don’t, it should disturb you that this one morally bankrupt individual has absolute control over what billions of people see or don’t see.

The rest is full of rank hypocrisy, but these 2 items in particular should hopefully inspire you to instantly delete your account if you have one, and actively evangelize others to do the same.

4 Likes

I think all three honestly believe they are behaving very responsibly, and that everyone else but them just doesn’t see how complex things are and what a great job they are doing bearing all that responsibility. IMHO they can all go fuck themselves with a rusty chainsaw.

It’s funny, but there’s still people who think they earned all that money and power through ingenuity and hard work.

From the article @Hanglyman linked:

“… the problem with my ongoing conversations with Mark, is that I feel like I spent a lot of time, and my colleagues spent a lot of time, explaining to him why these things are a problem, and I think he just very much lacks the ability to understand it.”

If you look at how facebook operates, it’s pretty clear that Zuck has zero clue about many things.

Agreed. There are still causes where you need facebook for the time being to reach out to people for support or for informing them. But there really is no excuse for any private or business use.

1 Like

Zuckerberg is a dishonest sack of shit and he has always been that way. Stop using his platforms, period.

I’m tired of the excuses of why people are still on Facebook. It’s well past the time to delete your account and install Facebook Container type add-ons to your browser.

This also applies to Facebook Messenger, Instagram, and What’s App.

Stop using them, stop re-posting content, just stop.

And, FFS Boing Boing, grow some balls and delete the Facebook share buttons.

9 Likes

I suggest getting the email and/or phone number of anybody you actually want to contact on Facebook. Once you’ve got the contact info you need, you no longer need Facebook. I can’t think of too many people without cell phones - we’re all reachable by phone call or text.

3 Likes

people used to talk on the phone so much that pundits thought we’d forget how to read and write

now it’s like looking back centuries at a different world, not just a couple of decades

1 Like

For individuals that‘s true, but if you want to reach out to people and raise awareness about issues like racism, inequality, or climate change you would probably still need facebook, texting doesn‘t help you there.

1 Like