Black security guard shot dead by police after preventing a mass shooting

Perfectly in line with the shining platinum standard of high grade conservative thinking:

“If it doesn’t affect me or my family or closest friends, then it’s of no consequence.”

21 Likes

If only, the good guy had a gun… oh wait.

2 Likes

The rule is never written down in ink, only in blood: guns are for white people only.

Cops seem only capable of demanding respect at gunpoint. Fuck this shit.

7 Likes

Or maybe, the only thing that stops a good gun with a gun, who is stopping the bad guys with guns, is more bad guys with guns (who happen to be uniformed police)…

Let’s see how the F-ing NRA spins this one. There was a “good guy with a gun” who happened to be able to do the uncommon and actually stop/prevent the bad guys with guns, but then got shot by the police for his heroism…

4 Likes

If past police shootings of black people who were legally carrying firearms is any indication their “spin” will be deafening silence.

9 Likes

This guy though was their literal fucking “good guy with a gun” who actually lived their masturbatory fantasy of being in the right place and having the balls to act, to stop the bad guys with guns.

If he had lived (and been white), you know that they’d try to adopt him as their poster boy/proof that they’ve been right this whole time, and that all is takes is having a “good guy with a gun”.

The fact that he was black, and was shot by cops is why we’re likely to hear the cricket chorus from them on this one.

16 Likes

My thoughts and wishes go out to the NRA spokesperson who will of course choose to do their despicable job instead of doing what’s right and quitting.

Evidently you have to study to become a police officer.

Well, I wouldn’t call it an easy job, cops do get to interact with the dregs of society on a daily basis (gangsters, junkies, other cops, …), witness scenes of domestic violence, etc. But it’s certainly not an intellectually demanding job.

That’s a witness’s statement being quoted. It seems Mr Harris shares the cynical but not unjustified view of many people here that US police officers do seem to think that their job is to shoot black people.

4 Likes

When they say “Good guy with a gun”, they mean good white guy, because there’s no such thing as a good black guy with a gun. Being black with a gun is a crime, often a capital one. Because this is America, the greatest nation the world has ever known.

4 Likes

For comparison, British cops need the equivalent of a university degree for the job. They also have a lot more gun training than US cops (who seem to get little more than don’t point the barrel at yourself or other cops, then pull the trigger), although this is mostly to be prepared for emergencies, like the one planned for the end of next March.

Then again, British cops didn’t start off as slave catchers, so you would expect the culture to be different (they are still institutionally racist, but most of them at least try to not kill BAME people).

11 Likes

It appears that they have to study but there is no evidence of having successfully studied.

2 Likes

“The national emergency planned for next March”
I like it.
It is a bit cumbersome, I’ll concede, but if we could get all instances of “Brexit” in all the UK media, replaced with this term…
(Only us Brits could actually actively PLAN to have a national emergency! I despair.)

7 Likes

I would be much happier if I had confidence that we are actually planning for it…

3 Likes

I think they are planning the shooting of all dissenters part. The rest doesn’t matter to them.

5 Likes

There was a TV commercial for a local home security company (I live in Nashville (sigh)) where the company owner was dressed up as a cowboy and walking down the Western town boardwalk, saying “Back in the Old West times when EVERYONE carried a gun, there WAS no crime!” :man_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

Never heard of Jesse James, I suppose?

2 Likes

That… is the literal opposite of what the “Wild West” means.

Where do you even start with that? I mean, even if it was true that there was no crime then why would everyone carry a gun?

6 Likes

Actually…if you go back and look at the real history, it was incredibly lawless. Most people lived in fear and terror under the boot/heel of whomever was the owner of the most hired guns. Which could have been the local law enforcement as much as anyone else.

3 Likes