#BlackLivesMatter

To me it looks like this fellow was confused, thought he was supposed to put his hands on top of his vehicle. Who knows.

He didn’t look like a threat to anybody to me.

Certainly not to multiple cops with their guns already out!

I see this video is not embedding. I’ll look for another one.

4 Likes

i regard black lives matter as one of the most important protest organizations currently operating. it is one of the few organizations i give money to and i would give time to help organize and protest in person if there were a chapter less than 160 miles from where i live.

9 Likes

Jesus fuck.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t really have anything to say about this, except that at this point it’s all in front of your eyes. If you think the police don’t need serious reform, nationwide, then you have to be looking away from this stuff, or you must be doing some serious mental gymnastics these days.

14 Likes

“That looks like a bad dude, too.”

You mean, he’s black?

8 Likes

14 Likes

Yup, he definitely looked both large and black. Case closed.

I have a more than a few Kaepernick-haters in my facebook circles, so I linked that post.

Result? Nary a ripple.

1 Like

I think one reason people are so excited over the new Luke Cage show on Netflix is simply that it has a bulletproof black man.

Power fantasies for white superheroes involve super-speed or the ability to fly or superhuman senses or high-tech body armor that can shoot lasers or the strength to throw cars at bad guys. Power fantasies for black superheroes mean having at least one black man on this good earth who we can be confident isn’t going to be taken down in a hail of police bullets.

13 Likes

This is kind of off-topic but i feel like a lot about superheroes is about how people feel the justice system has failed them.
Obviously there’s people who like comic books only in the sense of being entitled assholes (cough “fake” geek girls cough) and a huge portion of superheroes are written for and marketed to those people, but an idea of vigilante justice that comes from within a community and is opposed by law enforcement and loved by the people is actually something you can work with when you want to talk about fixing the justice system, and I really like that.
I think that’s why I like superheroes.

also you just reminded me to check Netflix and the first thing I see is a huge bulletproof black superhero in a hoodie kicking down the wall of a jail cell, this is amazing, I won’t be sleeping for the next week because I’ll be watching this

5 Likes

This is a good conversation to have, actually… why not spin it off into it’s own thread? I’d love to read more about this idea.

3 Likes

Taken the liberty of starting a thread as that’s something I’d really like to read more about.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Oh, someone was actually charged?

How long until the inevitable acquittal?

6 Likes

Must be really complicated, what with that video of him shooting him while he ran away and everything.

12 Likes

Annulment making a comeback to protect white cops who shoot unarmed black men?

I can’t think of a single goddamned thing to say.

6 Likes

And there’s the mistrial.

7 Likes

Because America can’t hog all the WTF, white actor Joseph Fiennes will be portraying non-white pop music legend Michael Jackson for a BBC Sky dramedy. It apparently involves wacky hijinks set around the events of 9/11.

Also, his makeup looks like Odo from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine impersonating Jack White.

9 Likes