Blocking 8 emoji stopped 90% of my unwanted Instagram comments

Originally published at: Blocking 8 emoji stopped 90% of my unwanted Instagram comments | Boing Boing

12 Likes

I have not done so as yet, but as soon as I’ve sent my SO a flirtatious message, have a moment of panic that I unintentionally messaged someone else. Wonder if there’s an outgoing filter to prevent me from using certain words/emojis on everyone but her.

3 Likes

Why would I use Instagram? It’s owned by failbook.

6 Likes

i stopped 100% of unwanted Instagram comments by not having an Instagram account.

19 Likes

Works with Twitter, too.

12 Likes

oddly, i don’t get unwanted comments too often on twitter. but i’m not poking any wasp nests there either.

3 Likes

I’ve happily notice that I never get any notification from Insta, likely because I don’t have an account, but there could be other reasons too.

2 Likes

The article does say “Of course, if it really bothers you, your best option is not to use any of it.”

6 Likes

I am emoji-illiterate so I have no idea what most of those are used to represent (I can guess I suppose).

But, just in case, does the octopus have another meaning?

1 Like

funny, I do have an insta and I also never get notifications - BECAUSE I TURNED THEM OFF.

4 Likes

That’s mind boggling.

2 Likes

Yes, it has eight meanings. One for every appendage.

2 Likes

it does! i keep telling people that, but they say “no, i need it to keep in touch with friends/family…”

1 Like

Figa? The thumb symbol?

Tentacular.

1 Like

urban dictionary says “figa” is Italian slang. here’s a forum thread offering some explanation

1 Like

All the people I communicate with are adults, so the little cartoons have never been an issue.

1 Like

It relates to hentai

3 Likes

“Figa” is an Italian term of abuse toward women, roughly like calling me the c-word.

3 Likes

Actually, that’s not always offensive, it can be the female version of cool… “Fica” however, is 100% what you’re talking about.

1 Like