Bobcat Goldthwait does the impossible in his latest film — again

It certainly doesn’t sound funny based on the description, but who knows. I’m assuming that description was heavily influenced by alcohol consumed at the time and that this is something that Bobcat would like be pilloried for by his liberal/left fans if he tried to do that these days.

The phrase “mentally deficient” is a bit odd as well…like someone was looking for a less offensive term. A bit odd and un-PC to see on Boing! Boing! (presumably BB would give Glenn Beck the same benefit of the doubt if he referred to a cognitively impaired adult as “mentally deficient”, so it’s all good).

1 Like

Wonderful article. I loved World’s Greatest Dad, incredibly well done. I an looking forward to seeing this documentary as well.

4 Likes

It takes a lot of courage to disclose a personal story like this. Hats off to Mr. Crimmins for his openness for the sake of helping others. Sounds like this is not the last we will be seeing from Goldthwait–will be interesting to see how it does at Sundance. Great contribution by Martin Olson, bringing to light an issue that no one wants to talk about, but everybody should–that takes empathy. #tellsomebodytelleverybody

4 Likes

I see your point about my choice of words in writing “mentally deficient.” In this case, however, I wasn’t describing a cognitively impaired adult. I was describing a comedian in an attempt to explain his technique of juxtaposing opposite qualities to create a laugh. Still, point taken, Brian, and you’re right that this style of humor is not everyone’s cup of tea by a long shot.

5 Likes

Thanks, Smash!

2 Likes

:raising_hand: Now - I want to see the movie! Thanks for this article.

2 Likes

Many thanks for this interesting article - it makes one curious about the film.

4 Likes

The details came at me fast when I was in that basement. But despite that, I don’t need those memories any more. I know what happened. These days I’m pretty good about not malingering. But a natural valve gets opened. The initial shock is a survival reaction, as if you were in a horrible disaster, or a car accident, or a war, or you survived some sort of massacre. The same thing happens to child abuse survivors. That’s PTSD."
When I had remembered an integral part of my childhood abuse, i remember how oddly calm it was. I was terrified to remember thinkin that the result was going to be much like any war. I was almost expecting bombs, loud noise, someting, but it was just a memory. It was a bad one, but remembering wasnt as bd as i thought it was going to be. PTSD is hard but people dont seem to take notice if one hasnt aquired it through war.
“Crimmins: If everyone knew how many people they knew who were abused, they might look at things a lot differently. If you really want people to get over abuse, they have to talk about it and get through it. And a big part of getting through it is understanding that you didn’t do anything wrong. You’re disclosing a story. You’re not admitting anything, you’re not guilty of anything. You’re telling a true story of what happened.”
This is going to help so many people. This was the hardest thing for me. Your abuser takes such care for you to knowhow worthless and vile you are -and you are, to them, one forgets that this isnt the view projected by the rest of the world.
Great interview. This movie is probably going to be a hit in nearly every household. You realize what the news will look like after this is released? LoL hope youre prepared to hear about it.

5 Likes

Please forgive the spelling, i am up early and this program is annoying, as i cant just go to the word and correct it. Hahaha

6 Likes

p.s. … and I like the interview…

3 Likes

Not sure what the hang up is. @brian_carnell Martin’s choice of words were fine. I may as well get bent out of shape everytime some one portrays a struggling single mother and calls her white. I greatly dislike when people take something so personal, they allow to feel like its a personal attack on their lives. The skit was an innocent portrayal of some one with a mental handicap, how should one say it?! It is what it is.

2 Likes

Anything, no matter how inappropriate, no matter how disgusting it would be in normal conversation, can be funny if the comedian, in the context of a comedy show, is funny.

Some people just cannot wait to shove a stick up their ass.

2 Likes

Gene Siskel famously hated this in movies. He was annoyed at it as a father and as a film critic he often expressed the opinion that showing children in peril is a cheap shot, a lazy way to try and force audience’s attention and sympathy.

3 Likes

I didn’t used to react that much o those scenes until I was pregnant. Then all that emotionally manipulative stuff really packed a whallop. The Hallmark ads, the families being used as bait - I cried over it all.

3 Likes

I can tell when I’m exhausted – from work, long-term lack of sleep, illness, whatever – when hallmark commercials start making me weepy.

I am (hopefully) in the tail-end of an up-and-down flu bug that has had its hooks into me since just before Thanksgiving. I get sooooo weepy at Disney movies.

In Frozen, when Anna sings “It doesn’t have to be a snowmane” and Elsa replies “Go away, Anna”? Oh, g-d, there I go again…

that’s funny. Get well soon.

Honestly, it was a relief when whatever hormone kicked in that made me feel emotions. My parents really never seem to get that visceral reaction to movies, or life, so it was nice to know I could actually feel.

1 Like

I can’t wait to see this film. Barry Crimmins is both brilliantly funny and brutally honest, so hearing him tell his own story of victimization and personal recovery is sure to be captivating. And Bobcat Goldthwait has shown mastery as a director in his ability to bring humor to egregiously painful subjects, and also to bring engrossing humanity to absurdity. These two men together telling a story that wouldn’t be welcomed by “polite society” is surely something to make time for in your schedule… Thank you, Martin Olson, for sharing your friendship with Barry and Bob as a platform to explore this film.

5 Likes

OK, it was cute at first but now it’s not all that much better than trolling. It would be one thing if the newbies were adding value to the thread, but this feels like they each wrote a block of prose and are simply copy/pasting it anywhere and everywhere that has made reference to any of the keywords.

If you’ve joined BB simply to post a rave review in this thread…don’t bother. The thread IS a rave review already. We get it: we should see these movies.

3 Likes

Except Shakes the Clown. Seriously, too much barf.

1 Like

Considering the stigma of silence about rape–whether it’s a child or anybody else–I disagree that people’s support and appreciation of this article is “cute.” When I came out in the pages of Boing Boing about my own rape, it meant everything to me to read people’s supportive comments here.

I understand wanting to keep Boing Boing’s forum from becoming the fawning emptiness that Facebook can be, but I think new members should be encouraged to participate, not dissuaded. It brings the boards more diversity, instread of just welcoming the regulars on the threads, with their sometimes already anticipated and expected opinions.

Also, you can partly blame me for encouraging the influx of new commenters. I think this article is so important, I told everyone I could about it, and encouraged them to comment. I would love to see this film get such wide distribution that the phrase “tell somebody, tell everybody” becomes a household term. I told, and it changed my life. I’d love to see others freed from the prison of secrecy. I think Barry’s openness is extraordinary–especially as a man.

I think everyone involved in Call Me Lucky–the subject himself, Barry Crimmins, the producer of the doc, Bobcat Goldthwait, and the author of the article, Martin Olson, deserve all the credit, kudos, thumbs up, feedback, and encouragement they are getting for bringing the issue of child rape to light. No one wants to talk about it, but it happens every day.

6 Likes