Boing Boing - Why won't you properly cover Bernie Sanders?

Aren’t Clinton’s policies functionally identical with GOP policies in the broad strokes?

1 Like

Maybe, mostly I’m turned off the republicans because of their religiosity and other social policies.

But I still find plenty to disagree with most republicans when it comes to economic policy as well.

As a non-American, I totally care who runs the biggest English-speaking country in the world. The Yanks set the tone for the rest of us in many arenas (whether we like it or not), like energy policy, environmental protection, drugs (both pharmaceutical and illicit), etc… and the world is crying out for a genuine progressive leader rather than the establishment choices of bad or worse.

3 Likes

We’d also quite like to be the subjects of American bombing/kidnapping/torture a little less frequently.

“Making the world better” would be nice, but to start with I’d settle for “stop actively making it worse”.

2 Likes

We’d also quite like to be the subjects of American bombing/kidnapping/torture a little less frequently.

“we”?

“We” in the sense of “everyone who isn’t American”.

But I could be mistaken; perhaps there is a substantial group of non-Americans who do enjoy the bombing/kidnap/torture that I’m unaware of.

2 Likes

If you weren’t all terrorists, we wouldn’t have this problem.

5 Likes

I must have missed the portions of recent world history where America were bombing kidnapping and torturing everyone who wasn’t American.

Bombing, kidnapping and torturing anyone who isn’t American. Totally a thing.

Then you must not have been paying attention for the last fifteen years.

2 Likes

No, I think the real answer is that you don’t know the meaning of the word ‘everyone’, or even ‘most everyone’, or even ‘a decent proportion of everyone’.

Hey, you’ve only had fifteen years and the CIA only has so many torturers available. I’m sure that you’ll get around to the rest of us eventually.

Did y’all really think that the US’s overt and enthusiastic support for abandoning the rule of law and embracing torture wasn’t going to create blowback?

The rest of the world remembers the Bush era very clearly, and isn’t going to forget it any time soon.

1 Like

So the world is completely ignorant of how the Obama era ramped up drone strikes massively beyond what Bush did?

2 Likes

No, some of us are aware of that.

Assassinations do seem to bother people less than torture, though. Whether they should is a whole discussion in itself.

Who is “people” here?

Pretty much everyone (on average, in my subjective opinion) on this one.

It may be as simple as “it’s possible to imagine a heroic assassin, it’s hard to imagine a non-villainous torturer”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 570 days. New replies are no longer allowed.