"Boing Boing's" Pick Your Own Apple Toy Giveaway

Boing Boing’s Pick Your Own Apple Toy Giveaway
To get things rolling with our newly launched store, we are holding an Apple Toy Giveaway. One lucky winner will choose any Apple product they want up to $700.

I understand the purpose of having a branded Stack Social store — my only comment in the annoucement thread was just disappointment in the lost opportunity of a hand-curated store by the awesome BB folk, but I can totally see that it would make sense.

The post today quoted, however, deliberately gives the impression that this is a Boing Boing giveaway. “To get things rolling, we are holding an Apple Toy Giveaway.” You can’t read it otherwise, that is deliberately worded to make it sound like this is your special offer or sale, or whatever, to commemorate the special opening of your store.

This is a lie. “You” are not holding any giveaway. I got the exact same email this morning from another store’s “Pick Your Own Apple Toy Giveaway”, a store that certainly isn’t pretending to hold a “special” offer in honer of it’s “opening.” It’s the same sale that’s on all the sites today.

It’s not a particularly big falsehood by any means, but I just don’t get why you would deliberately give false impressions to your readers like that. I wouldn’t even notice it on most other sites, but I guess I was just dumb for thinking you guys had a little more respect for your readers, because we certainly have a lot of respect for you.

Am I being too sensitive about this? @frauenfelder?

“Hey, we have this option for branded stores to hold a give away for some apple stuff, would you like to participate?”

Maybe more than one store said yes.

This topic was automatically closed after 639 days. New replies are no longer allowed.