Bong Joon-ho's Snowpiercer Blu-ray is very cheap on Amazon today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/05/bong-joon-hos-snowpiercer-bl.html

1 Like

It’s really depressing, no need for me to watch it again…

2 Likes

I can only imagine this movie works for an audience that’s never actually ridden a train, or had any curiosity at all about trains, or any enjoyment of how trains work.

If train wrecks are your cup of tea, then sure, it’s a fine example of the genre!

3 Likes

Its… also on netflix? Why push links to Amazon of all companies? At least give an in depth review or something.

1 Like

It’s one of those things with an unrealistic premise, so you just have to get over that and enjoy it. It is deep into metaphors.

Affiliate kickbacks. (not judging, Mark)

2 Likes

I’m judging. I’ve been a regular visitor to BB for two decades, I remember when half the posts were about the EFF, Net Neutrality, and other digital rights.

Gotta make a buck somewhere, but at what cost. feels bad, man.

1 Like

The central premise doesn’t make any logical sense but luckily it’s one of those movies that manages to keep the plot moving forward briskly enough that you don’t have to spend too much time dwelling on it.

I like how they only left the map of the train route on screen for a couple seconds so you don’t have to ask “wait…how did they build rail lines across those oceans again?”

5 Likes

Everything is frozen.

More like Icepiercer, am I right?

1 Like

Yeah but I’m pretty sure they established that the world didn’t freeze until AFTER the magic train was built? And the freezing happened almost immediately?

Like I said, it’s just good that they kept the plot moving quickly enough to avoid having to spend too much time thinking about the nonsensical premise. Lord knows it’s far from the first sci-fi action film to manage that feat (I’m looking at you, The Matrix).

4 Likes

Oh I think we know!!! :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Nonsense you say? Did you understand what they were saying? For those with eyes to see! :star_struck:

I have fond memories of seeing this film for the first time.

I went to a 24-hour sci-fi marathon near Boston, which took place during the middle of a snowstorm. The marathon was delayed by several hours because the snow was so bad that it caused a driving ban and shut down Boston’s entire transit system. When things finally got underway, the first film was Snowpiercer.

6 Likes

My review is “Avoid.”

My in-depth review is “Avoid like the plague.”

There isn’t enough suspension of disbelief to carry a viewer from scene one to scene two, let alone to the end of the movie. I watched the whole thing waiting for something, anything to improve. When I got to the big reveal, the movie got perceptibly worse.

4 Likes

from here it’s not the mr cheaper at all

I thought it was better than that. But then Parasite came along and I was like wow, this dude knows how to make an awesome movie! (Btw, his Mother is great too. And The Host. All 3 are better than Snowpiercer.)

1 Like

Watched it in the cinema near a bunch of people that insisted on exaggeratedly laughing at every scene in the most obnoxiously pointed manner just so all the strangers in a dark room would know how above it all they were. It was really irritating; the film was fine if you suspended your disbelief the right amount for. But then the film got to the “I know what people taste like. I know that babies taste best” scene and I realised that, honestly, the obnoxious ridiculing kids were right all along.

4 Likes

It’s on my list of “Things I have available but never seem to get around to watching”, right next to Mortal Engines.

It is both stupid and clever at the same time. It’s a cult classic that has a premise that can’t be taken too seriously. It has some engaging performances, and a style and aesthetic all its own. It tries to say something about society, but doesn’t do it nearly as subtly as a film like Brazil does.

1 Like

Brazil, subtle? Okay…

5 Likes

It’s all relative. Snowpiercer maybe has less to say than Brazil. It rides one metaphor through the entire film.

1 Like