Bong Joon-ho's Snowpiercer Blu-ray is very cheap on Amazon today

I think it is the most enjoyable movie that makes absolutely no sense that I can think of. I have a hard time watching bad movies just for the camp, but this one was well enough done that I found it interesting to watch, even though nothing in it seemed even remotely plausible. Somehow getting me to watch the entire movie even though it is intellectually bankrupt is a novel feat that defies logic. I can’t explain what made it a pleasant onetime diversion. That doesn’t mean I’m willing to hop on the train for a second viewing. I do have some standards, at least.

2 Likes

It’s Chris Evans’ earnestness, isn’t it? He’s not a brilliant actor, but that earnest demeanor makes him hard to not watch.

I love movies that are totally ridiculous, so long as they can pull it off. Snowpiercer was fine! LOL there is no “suspension of disbelief” that enjoyment of the ridiculous and/or fantastical ought to require. Most of my favorite movies are nuts, books as well, art, music. Doesn’t mean it’s not saying something, and often doing so with gusto! I feel like the Happy Mutant vibe around here has gone down the toilet, probably a response to our strange and troubled times, I imagine. FUN, people! Fucking get stoned and watch Zardoz and actually enjoy its fine line between zaniness and profundity, and Sean Connery running around in a red loincloth or whatever! GEEZ!

4 Likes

I liked it. They’re still going ahead with the TV series later this year, it seems.

Did anyone here get around to reading the original graphic novels? I understand they’re fairly different.

Also, if you missed the Wonkapiercer theory, it’s bloody brilliant:

2 Likes

Contrast Parasite with Shoplifters. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hard . . . . .no.

1 Like

?

Haven’t seen Shoplifters, did you like it?

2 Likes

A 7 year old movie can’t be a “classic”, cult or otherwise.

I haven’t seen Parasite yet, but Shoplifters is really, really good.

2 Likes

Very much so. There’s some beautiful and thoughtful stuff in it, but also some things to critique.

2 Likes

Why did you share that map! Now I have to ask questions like

1. Why was it important that they have so much track anyway, would a 10 mile loop work as well
  2. Why did they plan the escape in Siberia, wouldn’t it make way more sense to hop off in a tropical locale
  3. Why build the rails into the Canadian Arctic Archipelago and Greenland instead of the flatlands of the Pampas or Southern Africa (related: why cross the Caucus, Ural, and Himalaya mountains at all?)
1 Like

IIRC the train was originally designed as a luxury-world-tour-by-rail kinda thing, not a “mobile ark carrying the last vestiges of humanity through an endless frozen landscape” kinda thing.

2 Likes

I want you with me when the Snowpocalypse comes, this is all solid thinking!

7 years is a long time for a cult. I don’t really buy into the whole 25 year thing for “classics” when we know pretty long before then that we’ll be revisiting that film and making fun of it for many years.

I’m pretty sure we won’t make it 25 years for Idocracy to become a classic.

3 Likes

I mean, we only had to wait a decade for it to become real

6 Likes

I haven’t seen it yet, but from the comments here I’m getting “gritty reboot of Polar Express”.

1 Like

I presume you weren’t doing much reading in those two decades then, because any regular visitor to boing boing for that long would likely have realized by now that Mark rather likes to find things he thinks are cool, or a good deal, and post about them.

But then, given your description of BB being 50% EFF posts you weren’t here for Marks cool tools/cheap deals posts anyway.

We are sorry you are disappointed in Boing Boing.

4 Likes

The List! The List! Put 'em on The List!

3 Likes

Who keeps The List? Is it @beschizza?