Border troops bracing for possible clashes with armed crackpot militias of U.S. citizens, not Migrant Caravan

“Preliminary intelligence assessments are preparing for encounters with a litany of groups from unregulated militias to transcontinental criminal organizations,” reports Newsweek.

7 Likes

This could be interesting. There’s a very real tension between many factions on the right that have recently been very good at presenting a united front, but historically fucking hate each other. I don’t actually expect anything drastic to happen here but this coalition based entirely on ressentiment will not last forever.

7 Likes

" Joint Force Land Component Commander Threat Working Group"

JoFoLaCoComThWoGru? I hope no one has to call them out in a hurry.

10 Likes

these aren’t typical days. the border patrol has lately taken to destroying caches of food and water aid organizations have put out in the desert to reduce deaths as well as incidents where they have shot at the aid groups putting out the food and water. the border patrol is not an aid organization now.

24 Likes

““Estimated 200 unregulated armed militia members currently operating along the southwest border.“

A casting director would be smart to hire these folks for their next “little blue pill” commercial.

10 Likes

So, I read this story as Trumpty Dumpty sends troops to border to repel invaders but troops decide local loonies are a bigger threat.

I think the subtext is obvious. Trumpty Dumpty cannot bear the idea of some amateurs taking the credit for discouraging an invasion, he wants his own deployed professionals to get HIM the FULL credit, so the pros have to usurp/prevent the local amateur loonies as well as prevent the invaders.

(Do I need a /s tag here? Not even sure if that IS sarcastic.)

6 Likes

Affirmatory, Lt. Commander euansmith, Sir!

3 Likes

I suspect you’re right. That probably is a large part of it.

3 Likes

Kudos. (How is this not standard?)

6 Likes

Uh, maybe wait until Wednesday to get your Chinese food fix?

Stay safe Happy Mutant.

10 Likes

Hear, hear.

2 Likes

This entire immigrant caravan is such an improbably perfect event for the GOP right now that I have conspiracy theories crossing my mind.

Nothing good can come out of this for the immigrants long or short term. The border is going to get locked down even more. Republicans are going to get elected and tougher immigration legislation will be passed. The only reason that I think they are doing this now is because they are being paid. It just doesn’t make any sense to me otherwise.

Reading through the powerpoint, it looks like the army put its pants on when it came to being sure about what they are and are not allowed to do. We’ll see how it works out in practice.

The mention of minute-men etc. is really more of an aside, though we can’t be sure how much the presenter dwelled on it in speaking.

There’s a great nugget in the article from a Minuteman that you just know had the reporter smiling as they typed it,

“Instead of following the rules, they are using our nation’s laws as a shortcut to get in front of the line,” Morgan claimed.

Instead of following the rules, they’re following the rules!

8 Likes

Do you have a source on that? I haven’t heard that, but I haven’t read anything specific about the BP for awhile. Last articles or videos showed that a lot of the work was monotony and when finding people treating for heat stroke etc.

But I do agree times aren’t typical and I have no idea what sort of shit show Trump is going to order down there. I just wanted to point out that if one was going to send humanitarian aid at the border, it probably would be National Guard units who are called up specifically for aid during emergencies.

This is as expected. The Army has been pretty on point with ROE. It isn’t perfect by any means, but the expected conduct and rules of engagement are a lot stricter than in the past.

1 Like

It sounds like the troops aren’t paying proper attention to their Commander-In-Chief, who has assured them that these so-called “refugees” are all an violent existential threat to the United States.

I read an article recently about just how little the people in the caravan know about US immigration policy. They’re just desperate enough to pray to God and jump into the unknown.

7 Likes
15 Likes

That’s not what Trump and ICE are doing there, and I think you’re well aware of that fact. This administration doesn’t have a shred of humanity to share.

11 Likes

Yeah! They could airlift them to a civilised country, like Canada.

6 Likes

jackass

30 Likes