Boris Johnson quits as party leader, says he will stay on as Prime Minister

Originally published at: Boris Johnson quits as party leader, says he will stay on as Prime Minister | Boing Boing

7 Likes
8 Likes

Jesus, he can’t even quit correctly.

30 Likes

Or, in other words, Boris quit in the most Boris Johnson possible way: by “quitting” in such a way that he remains in his extremely powerful position — albeit without being able to boss around a bunch of people who weren’t listening to him anyway — and intending to stay in place until that bag of cats we know as the Tories can decide on which sociopath to replace him with.

He never had a philosophy or a set of policies, or even a policy, for governing. He never wanted the Prime Ministership to do anything, he just wanted to be PM. He’s been happy for those around him to do whatever, he doesn’t care, just so long as he gets to be PM. And now he’s found a way to “quit”, while staying PM for an extended period of time, which you can guarantee he will milk and eke out for far longer than anyone thinks should be possible.

38 Likes

I hope this means that the Tories won’t be able to get anything done for a while. That would be a good thing for the UK.

27 Likes

“For the sake of continuity of Parliament and the State, I shall stay on as Prime Minister until we figure out who in the parade of horribles that is the Conservative party we can put in Number 10 a) without triggering a mass revolt and b) who will be able to securely position themselves in the role before anyone realizes how much worse than me they will be.”

15 Likes

History is going to remember him as one of the worst Prime Minister of Britain ever.

Just a small correction to make it more accurate. I suspect the only reason he resigned is because the 1922 committee told him that he was going to destroy the party and that they wouldn’t allow that to happen.

18 Likes

I for one look forward to him returning to Have I Got News For You, where I am sure Ian Hislop will delight in mercilessly tearing him a new one.

9 Likes

It is the very definition of a Despot - one who wants power for its own sake, not for what can be done with it.

11 Likes

In theory, this is no different to when May quit.

However, unlike Boris, no one was in any doubt that she meant it, not least because she didn’t wait until nearly a third of the government had resigned before accepting that the jig was up.

12 Likes

I suspect they had already done that a few days ago. He refused and they orchestrated the mass resignations as the nuclear option.

11 Likes

Yeah, I stopped laughing about him a long time ago.

9 Likes

I sincerely feel a bag of cats would govern the UK better

21 Likes

He hasn’t even made it to May’s Brief time in office:

The UK is starting to get used to changing prime ministers almost as rapidly as Australia.

13 Likes

Oh the farcical irony…

27 Likes

Indeed, like Farage, we laughed at him because he was an obvious sack of shit; but he was still a sack of shit, and continues to be so.

17 Likes

Their sociopathy would at least be adorable.

5 Likes

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

Can he even do that?

high quality remake GIF

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

7 Likes

It’s pretty obvious that this is why he is refusing to go as PM because, by the time the Summer Recess is over etc, he will be safely past that point and won’t look like a complete and utter failure - at least by that metric.

I mean, he’s allegedly chairing a cabinet meeting this afternoon. With exactly zero authority. How the hell can that possibly work?

10 Likes

Well, I guess I eat my words now:

9 Likes