Bourbon time capsule discovered underneath a statue of Jefferson Davis in Kentucky

Or maybe they felt the bourbon would be better served first filtered through liver and kidneys?

1 Like

Hey now! Ale-8-One is a marvelous drink!

Second best beverage, after bourbon, to come from the region.

I watched the 40 seconds of timelapse, and I immediately could think of a better place on the statue’s anatomy they could have hung the straps… maybe between the shoulders and ears? That would have been a big FYou to the traitor and his modern day ilk.

FWIW the original master distiller of Jack Daniels was a black man.

3 Likes

Though he wasn’t properly recognized as such until after his death, because bigotry.

5 Likes

hence the qualification. well that, and my hunch that Nearest wouldn’t recognize the modern stuff as his own…

1 Like

I have a bit of a half-ass explanation for the continued deification of Jefferson Davis in Kentucky. As a non-native Kentuckian, I’ve learned over the last 20+ years that the fact of someone’s Kentucky heritage is EXTREMELY important around here. Almost regardless of a person’s actual deeds (in this case irrefutable treason against the United States), Kentuckians still consider it remarkable (in more of a literal sense) that a person was from Kentucky and will point it out in social situations.

I’m glad to see the JD statue come down. I worked at the Capitol in Frankfort for 10 years and it ALWAYS bugged and confused me that there was a statue of Davis prominently displayed in the Capitol Rotunda, mere feet from Abraham Lincoln. Having the political will to take the statue down in a state that still thinks Davis is a big deal is… a big deal. The Jefferson Davis Monument State Historic Site (park) is going to be a harder sell methinks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.