Boxiecat is the best cat litter

The best cat litter is the cheapest cat litter, because no matter what brand you buy, your cat will just shit all over it.

6 Likes

Same hereā€¦ Been using it for the past year or so. It reminds me of my old favorite from years ago that quit being sold anymore.

I switch to crystals when weā€™re going out of town for a period of time so that the caregivers only need to scoop poo.

Iā€™ve found it to work well and is reasonably priced. But, it is dusty when scooped. I wear an N95 dust mask sometimes when scooping because of it.

Iā€™m wary of the desiccating crystals I tried using. Not good for quantities of urine, and crystalline silica causes silicosis when inhaled as dust - bad for humans and, I presume, kitties.

Or next to it. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Ya, I quit using the Costco stuff because it sends dust everywhere (also, some of the cats just didnā€™t seem to like it ā€“ perhaps the lemongrass scent).

1 Like

We have a grinder pump (which has to be replaced every 10 years or so). Many things that say they are flushable are not. When we had our pump replaced earlier this year, we found that every single baby wipe we had ever flushed had collected into a giant ball, floating on top of the holding tank.

Iā€™m not about to take my chances with flushable litter. Though presumably, the Charles Mingus method is compatible.

4 Likes

I have a couple bags of the pine litter in our emergency kit at work (along with a five gallon bucket that has a toilet seat top and a bunch of waste bags).

6 Likes

You must have some odd emergencies at work. Iā€™m sure you could tell us stories. Donā€™t.

9 Likes

Woah, isnā€™t that a social media service? Maybe Iā€™m thinking of a tinder pump?

But, yes, flushable wipes of both the baby and adult variety seem to be very much not really safe for any sewer system. Any material that can stay ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  with out degrading in the container will do the same in the sewer systemā€¦ :frowning:

2 Likes

Softwood furnace pellets, Canadian Tire or other such place, $6 Canadian for 40lbs. 4 cats = 6 bags a year. No scoop, just dump. It doesnā€™t stink until after the pellets have all broken down, so glancing at it a few times a week tells you when to dump it.

We have to have 3 litter boxes to get past the odd social structures our cats have created, in order to avoid reprisal floor poo.

Lately tho, people been fuckin wit me. The CT I used to buy from says they only carry mixed pellets, and that doesnā€™t work, has to be all softwood.

I seriously think the industry is pushing mixed pellets to keep the margins in softwood poo pellets so tasty.

Exact same product, at our local pet store, in a fancy label bag, $16 for 20lbs

I gotta say, if I produced softwood pellets, Iā€™d smell money in poo too.

6 Likes

Which formula do your recommend-- original, lavender, forest, etc?

It seems that Target have started carrying Worldā€™s Best as well!
I got scared off of clay based litters thanks to various cat health books/blogs. The other ā€˜naturalā€™ litters tend to be a kind of very lightweight bark mulch and get everywhere.
There is a lavender scented version too, itā€™s harder to find but when I do get it, my cats donā€™t seem to mind it.

2 Likes

Standard earthquake kit, or it ought to be.

2 Likes

Typical! Cats always pick the worst time to shit!

4 Likes

We use Natureā€™s Miracle Intense Defense Odor Control.
Clumps well, very little dust, appears to be non-offensive to the paws of our toilet-troubled cat. The granules are pretty small but donā€™t shift underfoot a lot, a plus for our toilet-troubled miss. I find it on sale pretty regularly at PetSmart.

Our litter boxes are Natureā€™s Miracle (funny i never noticed it was the same brand before) high-sided litter boxes. It cuts down on litter-scatter from all but the entrance. We settled on it years and years ago when we had a cat who, um, sometimes missed the box entirely by hanging her bum out the side. She also produced absolute lakes of wee. So, high-sided box to the rescue! By the time she died, our other cats had settled on that type of box as the preferred box. It works really well for the two big guys we have. Plenty of room for them to turn around and dig about. The clumps come away from the bottom pretty easily, no sticking, and the plastic seems to absorb smells less than a lot of boxes.
We put a cardboard scratching pad at the entrance to catch litter tracked out of the box. It works better than mats and if the cats scratch at it, no problem.

1 Like

Put one of those wide cardboard scratchers where the cats enter and exit. Like this http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-training/scratchers/catit-style-scratching-board-cat-scratcher-zid36-5191043/cat-36-catid-200086 or http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-training/scratchers/grreat-choice-cat-scratcher-zid36-5151386/cat-36-catid-200086
It might help, and if it doesnā€™t, you just have another cheap scratcher for the cats to destroy.

1 Like

I liked worldsbest too. But the toilet-troubled miss and lake-wee cat did not. For the former, it was too unstable when walking or standing, she has crippled back legs. Lake-wee cat had sensitive paws. Only fine grained stuff would do.

1 Like

Any UK-based happy mutants have any other recommendations? Boxiecat is Ā£80 a bag on Amazon :frowning:

My cats are currently using either Catsan or Sainsburyā€™s odour control litter but they go through a lot.

I just use the regular green bag. I have two cats, but the ā€˜multiple catā€™ variety doesnā€™t seem to work any better. I didnā€™t like the smell of the forest one. The regular green stuff seems to neutralize odor very well, but I try to scoop and flush the waste daily (which only takes a minute since the litter box is close to the toilet), or at the laziest, every two or three days. If you try it, let me know. I think differences between cat urines might account for some portion of the differences in opinion about the performances of litters, and Iā€™m curious to see if this stuff works as amazingly well for others as it does for me.

The worlds best stuff is pretty fine grained. Are you sure it was the same stuff?

Ha. Thatā€™s what led me to my litter vision quest as well. A lot of the natural ones do work pretty well. Worldā€™s Best was my favorite though. Just seemed to excel in every metric of cat litter worthiness. But my cats arenā€™t too particular about litter, so maybe itā€™s easier for us.