Boy lost in woods for three days says a bear looked after him

14 Likes

He survived for 2(?) nights in temps low enough to cause hypothermia ( “The boy authorities described as 25 pounds and 2 feet 4 inches tall was stuck out in conditions so bad that volunteers were turned away from the search.

Hughes said his team was concerned about the “extreme cold” as temperatures dipped near freezing, but against all odds, they found him.”)

If not something else nefarious, how did he do it? Also, I live in bear country. I’ve see them in the wild about 6 times and they’ve acted like big, lazy or scared dogs.

#teambear

6 Likes

Its all a bit fishy this story. How could he be so nearby and not be found. And then the grandmother tops it off with this Tweet:

Breanna Hathaway

last Thursday

Casey is healthy, smiling, and talking. He said he hung out with a bear for two days God sent him a friend to keep him safe. God is a good God. Miracles do happen.

1 Like

I guess they can be friendly under the right circumstances.

5 Likes

That little fellow was royally in the pooh. Bears? Naturally.

I immediately thought of this:

Bill Ray: Are there any bears around here?

Norman: Oh, sure. Black bears and grizzlies. One of 'em came along here last month and ate an old lesbian.

On Golden Pond

2 Likes

There were very brutal conditions out there. The first night it dropped down to 20 degrees, the second night we had 2 inches of rain,"

Exposure could have killed him easily.

2 Likes

What if they were imaginary mushrooms and a real, hallucinogenic turtle tho?

2 Likes

This was my thought as well…something helped him survive the conditions. I recall seeing a short video on Discovery Canada of a biologist assessing cubs in a bear den during hibernation; he just crawled in and brought the cubs out one by one, then put them back without incident. Pretty sure I wouldn’t try that, but… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I came here for this. 49 posts debating whether a toddler could have spent the night with a bear. No joke, this is why I love bbs!

3 Likes

Nothing surprising here. The boy was just enjoying his constitutional right to bear arms. I believe that it is very popular around those parts.

beararms

4 Likes

You know, I have seen several cases where predators become care givers - at last temporarily to very young prey. I think some maternal instinct kick in with small things, similar to humans. For example I saw a cheetah kill a monkey, and then find its baby and start to groom it like it was a kitten.

Granted, in car vs bicycle threads, bears will tend to side with the bicycles.

1 Like

No helmets in the wild…

2 Likes

That’s what I want to know more about!
Bear or no bear,
I want to know what he did
(Or not ) to survive.
If he was just a little bit older,
we’d get a better idea.
I think his young age protected him, in a way…
he didn’t know how much he
really should have been afraid of!

Nobody has yet asked the burning question: was the bear Catholic?

I can’t answer “Was the bear Catholic?”. I’m still stuck on “Was the bear?”

One whiff of the boy, and you would know if he had been around a bear, or slept in bear den.

1 Like

The best thing about those bears. If they attack you can just beat them off.

1 Like

4 Likes