Boys stranded in Thai cave were sedated with ketamine as part of rescue

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/04/boys-stranded-in-thai-cave-wer.html

4 Likes

Just wait until Elon Musk hears about this.

14 Likes

isn’t shivering a good thing? ( in that it exists to warm you? )

6 Likes

It’s not a good thing when you can shiver yourself out of your rescuers arms

6 Likes

Hard%20Pass%2C%20No%2C%20Hard%20Pass

17 Likes

Dang, they really were in the K hole.

4 Likes

Life imitating art:

1 Like

I think that’s called a seizure

1 Like

Special K to the rescue!

1 Like

Not when someone tries to fit you through openings in the rock not much larger than your head, underwater.

9 Likes

But now we are going to have to worry about kids intentionally getting themselves stranded in caves just to get high!

26 Likes

I am shocked! Shocked and outraged! I demand those children be stuffed back in a cave - let them dig their own way out!

5 Likes

This has got to be the first time “getting drugged by a stranger while trapped in a cave” worked out well for anyone.

28 Likes

well, considering that it was basically that or death, i can see why they chose the drugs.

4 Likes

also known as party drug Special K

More specifically known as an anesthetic, but leave it to CNN to spice things up.

17 Likes

Oprah and Facebook parenting advice tells me that what the kids call ‘cave diving’ is the biggest thing since jenkem and rainbow parties!

2 Likes

My (layman’s) understanding is that ketamine is considered pretty polite in terms of not depressing respiration, interfering with helpful reflex actions; or messing with blood pressure very much by the standards of reasonably punchy anaesthetics; all of which are probably virtues in a context where just having the anesthesiologist mechanically ventilate them as though he were back at the office isn’t terribly viable.

12 Likes

Today, ketamine is used in pediatric emergency rooms, for example in the case of a fracture, because it’s safer than other sedatives, said CNN’s Dr. Edith Bracho-Sanchez, a pediatrician.

HOW IS THIS CONSIDERED NEWS?! “It turns out the children who we all already knew were sedated so their lives could be saved, we sedated using…hold onto your butts…a sedative that’s used to safely sedate children!!! Film at 11.”

15 Likes

Can’t let a little thing like facts get int he way of sinking to the level of a tabloid rag. /s

11 Likes

Sicko nurse sterilizes child’s wound with ‘ethanol,’ a recreational drug also known as ‘Hooch’ and ‘Liquid Courage.’

25 Likes