Bra holster misfire kills Michigan Republican delegate

@Humbabella, your intelligent and insightful discourse is interfering with my trolling of anti-gun gun fetishists.

You’ll need to make a lot less sense before I’ll be able to effectively mock you!

8 Likes

A mishap leads to a hoplophobic orgy. Oh well, nothing unpredictable.

Of course there is no analysis of the holster used, of the dangers associated with that particular type, of the alternatives other than no-guns-because-they-are-baaaaaad.

People die. If you got it in your fate, you can be as careful as you can be and all it gives you is that the accident that does you in will be more freak. If you did not, you’ll miraculously survive just about anything.

2 Likes

That number includes suicides, which I think isn’t fair to include when talking about gun control. That is a deliberate act that no law would ever stop.

Its around ~12000 for gun crime, and ~800 for accidents.

And I think our reaction to 9/11 was over blown. The TSA is a sham and a complete waste of resources. The domestic spying by the NSA and other entities is also a violation of our rights and using an unlikely terrorist event as leverage to scare people into compliance.

3 Likes

You could have left out the word “Republican”. In this case, it’s redundant.

2 Likes

But… but… I’m a registered Republican, and I never wear a bra.

2 Likes

And yet all the studies on the subject have made the point that using a gun to commit suicide greatly increases the chance of “success”, whereas people who use other methods have a much higher rate of stopping before the point of no return and/or living through the attempt (and then ultimately being glad they did). Fewer guns would mean fewer suicides, not the same number of suicides but by other means.

9 Likes

I’ll agree that our response to 9/11 was overblown, and at the wrong people and places. And that the TSA is mostly BS. But none of that is an argument in favor of less restrictive gun laws.

3 Likes

Back in the olden times, before the barbarian hordes of lawyers laid waste to our land, there used to be things called a “accidents”. To kids nowadays they are merely the stuff of legends, but when I was a wee lad we occasionally still saw them.

3 Likes

OMG - and WHY - what logical reason can you have to limit MILLIONS of other people because a few thousand people to abuse and kill themselves per year?

That makes no damn sense.

It is a TOOL. Yes it makes it easier, but if heroin were easier to get or some suicide drug cocktail they would probably use that instead. Suicide is a mental health issue. No one has ever looked at a gun and suddenly had suicidal thoughts that weren’t there.

I feel the same about recreational drugs, btw. If people want to smoke weed or what ever, let them. Decriminalizing or making drugs legal would probably reduce violent crime and the gang related deaths would go down.

1 Like

Aha, we’ve uncovered another bOINGbOING forum discontinuity - people choosing suicide is quite frequently supported hereabouts… as long as it’s not presented in the context of our usual pointless and repetitive gun argument.

Apparently while physician assisted (some say ghoul assisted) suicide is a fundamental right, if you do it yourself you’re required to use an inefficient method?

5 Likes

12 Likes

Though there is that pesky variance where non-owners get shot dead less often. But hey, we’re all going to die, anything goes man! Freedom Rock!

3 Likes

8 Likes

So you shouldn’t really worry with what other people are doing, right?

Or do you go around telling fat people they are killing themselves with their diet, smokers and heavy drinkers the same thing, pool owners, sports car owners, sky divers, scuba divers, or one of 1000 other lifestyles that lead a life that might have a higher mortality rate than the base average.

1 Like

No, not really. I think people support the carefully and rationally considered right to die by people in their right mind, generally those facing immanent painful or debilitating fatal disease. This contrasts with hasty suicide attempts exacerbated by depression and mental health issues and enabled by quick and ready access to instant lethality.

10 Likes

Japan has some of the strictest gun laws in the world and one of the highest suicide rates. Where there are wills there are ways.

1 Like

Without feeding into the contentious all-or-nothing gun debate, I would say that the design of the Flashbang holster (assuming that is the model used in this case) looks incredibly dangerous.

It appears designed to be a quick-draw type that uses molded plastic to friction-grip the handgun. Aside from a flap of plastic, it doesn’t look like there’s really anything there to prevent grabbing the trigger inadvertently or accidentally shooting your tit off during a draw maneuver.

1 Like

There are days I wish the lottery had a lose mode as well as a win mode. If buying a ticket got you a chance at winning a zillion moneys, but also a slight, non-zero risk of costing you an extra hundred bucks. Don’t worry about the mechanics, it’s just a fantasy anyway.

As it is, every time I decide not to play the lottery, I “gain” a dollar, reletive to what I’d average by playing every week. So, that’s maybe $2,000 dollars I’ve amassed by never ever playing (responsibly! the reletive cost compared to playing excessively goes much higher!)

I’m sort of playing the same kind of game by not bothering with gun ownership. Sure, I miss out on the vanishingly rare chance Ill get to use my weapon in a heroic fashion and save an innocent life… And I also miss out on the much higher chance of accidentally getting killed by my own weapon. And if some irresponsible party kills me playng their gun lottery game? The chances of my having been able to stop them with a gun of my own are truly astronomical.

But that’s not the reality that heavy gamblers exist in. And I don’t get to take their guns, or their delusions away from them, not even if its to pry them from their cold,dead, hands.

8 Likes

I’d say more of a “spring grip” than friction grip, but even so, it looks like an incredibly insecure holster, given that the drawing force has to be light enough to not rip off an ordinary bra. And it is held on by a single snap.

As I said, suicide is a complex issue. And Japan’s suicide rate might be even higher with ready access to guns. Or not. But, Japan also has a much lower crime rate than the US - which conflicts with gun lobbyist claims, such as you are intimating here, that society needs extensive private ownership of guns to be safe. So I don’t think bringing up Japan really helps your “guns are good for society” thesis.

3 Likes