Brazilian musician Curumin, Solesides, and DJ Shadow

Originally published at: Brazilian musician Curumin, Solesides, and DJ Shadow | Boing Boing

3 Likes

as soon as I saw his name in your post further up, I was going to post about this book. I’ve read all the hip hop books. I’m being hyperbolic, but I’ve read a lot. CS,WS is the best by far.

as far as Quannum, they’re dope. personally rec Shadow’s Endtroducing, Preemptive Strike, and his live show is great. Blackalicious’ Blazing Arrow is a perfect album. the Latyrix album is well-loved but iunno it didn’t work on me but I seem to be the minority. Lyrics Born solo is a dope rapper but not familiar with his ouvre specifically.

I’m old and out of touch so I’m not up on the kid, but I’ll damn sure be sessioning the link.

3 Likes

Some of the tracks that stood out to me as a youngster:

7 Likes

Warm memories of watching the sun come up with DJ Shadow on background ambient.

2 Likes

I’ve no idea how 15 y/o me in a small town in the UK came to hear about Blacalicious (probably via DJ Shadow I guess, although I’m sure I didn’t hear Endtroducing until later), but it was pretty much the first time I branched out of indie music into any other genre and it blew my mind.
What I liked about all the Solesides/Quannum stuff was that it was an antidote to mainstream rap, which seemed to all just be about ‘guns, b*tches and bling’ at that point in time.
This is still one of my favourite songs:

Got to say hello to Gift of Gab once or twice after shows in the UK, and it was clear what a lovely human being he was, always so generous with his time. I’m still sad he’s gone :frowning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.