Bread storage alignment chart

The “Knot” should be the most evil. Especially when the tier pulls it really tight.

What @zfirphdn said: thanks for that fascinating link. Consider my mind boggled.

I every now and then quote this ex-Microsoft guy who allegedly said “we know more about what happens at the surface of the sun than we know about what happens on the inside of a soufflé”, but my ignorance about food processing was quite in my face with that link.

Hell, we eat every day so many things which are so interesting. Reminds me of one of the early Dresden Kodak panels… Young protagonists gets a cookie, sits under the table and proclaims “I will do science to it!”

Advice: twirl the loose end a bit, then push and wiggle to loosen the knot. Works surprisingly well with a lot of plastic bag knots, depending on the material.

2 Likes

Depends on where you live I suppose.

Most of Europe, a well-baked loaf made of, you know, actual bread ingredients like flour, water and yeast will certainly last a week without problems during most of the year.

Otherwise, what nytespryte said - I’d say it’s absolutely fine for 4-5 days depending on how you store it, then better toasted. Obviously, if you haven’t been slicing bits of it and leave it as a whole loaf, it stays fresher for longer.

But why would you do that? :slight_smile:

1 Like

There was also previously this:

2 Likes

Any proper sourdough bread containing a sufficient amount of rye can easily last a week without going stale, if properly stored.

It’s for toast, you mean?
Because it’s in the form factor of the vertical toasters. You could make toast with normal bread too, on grill toasters.

I’m guessing it’s a translation thing. German-speaking countries call what most English-speaking countries just think of as bread, Toastbrot, i.e. toast bread or just simply ‘toast’.

Bread is something completely different.

2 Likes

Where I live it will be dry like cardboard unless wrapped in plastic long before the week is out and if it’s wrapped in plastic the crust will lose all it’s crispness. Gets dry up here in Norway (unless you’re in Bergen of course). Of course if it is a dense rugbrød then it will last longer (I don’t mean the Danish kind, that just lasts forever) but that’s not really my thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.