Check out this obsessive collection of plastic bread bag closures

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/21/check-out-this-obsessive-collection-of-plastic-bread-bag-closures.html

2 Likes

It’s always a good idea to keep an extra few of those tabs around in case you lose one for your current loaf.

3 Likes

The bread clip, one of Yakima, WA’s many claims to fame.

5 Likes

I collect them and use them as “temporary labels” for both copper and fiber patch cables when making major network changes. I prefer the ones with the larger writing space for switchport notes.

5 Likes

This is great. I love to think of this collector obsessing over that one design from 2014 that they don’t have yet. I’ve found that these tags make good scrapers for removing labels from books. I like the ones without clipped corners.

2 Likes

Seeing Yakima’s name, I assumed it was first used for fruit packaging. I was not disappointed.

ETA: Also, I just noticed “the Palm Springs of Washington!”

Um, care to elaborate, sign?

I used to work with a 3d animator back in the 90s (at a special effects house) who was doing this very thing back in the day and now I wonder if this is his site. An amazing guy who during lunch would get on the roof of the building and try to make first contact with neighbouring buildings by doing semaphore. (He did get contact one day as somebody figured out what was going on and responded back with flags … it was a bit glorious)

Edit: OMG and holy crap, I did a bit of research and it’s the same guy. The place we worked together at was really toxic but he was one of the best people I had met there. His weirdness was so genuine and wonderful and one of the few people there I would care to see again some day.

12 Likes

I remember reading about a teacher who had his class bring in bread tags to give them an appreciation of how long it would take to accumulate a million.

2 Likes

I used to work as a cook in a restaurant and we went through so many loaves of bread that as a joke I began to save them and ended up filling a large jar with them which I then gifted to my sister on Christmas that year.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s very cool

2 Likes

Not much of a story, really. A local wanted to encourage tourism and this was his solution. It’s visible hard to miss from southbound I-82.

1 Like

Yep, he’s been at this for a long time.

1 Like

nb they’re usually color coded by day to make rotating stock easier.

1 Like

I have a similar memory, but the class collected ring-pulls.

I think I read it in National Geographic or maybe National Geographic World.

1 Like

I remember he was really into insects and had plastic bugs everywhere and I believe I do have a photo of him against a wall surrounded by bugs that had been glued to the wall. He had a giant plastic scorpion on his computer and out of the blue somebody would toss it to another person and shout “Scorpion toss!”

He also was a burner and I remember people found a photo of him by Bruce Sterling as a carpet foam super hero at Burning Man in Burning Man photography book in 97.

I never thought these things worked very well.

Tag monsters! What else are you gonna do with them?
tag

That reference website [http://www.horg.com/horg/] is a good read too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.