Decoding the bread clip code to get the freshest loaf

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/25/decoding-the-bread-clip-code-to-get-the-freshest-loaf.html

3 Likes

I’ve really only seen white bread tags. And now they have switched to cardboard with the date stamped on it.

2 Likes

If they use twist ties rather than clips, those are usually color coded too…

1 Like

Our local bakery uses different colors, but honestly it’s not even that complicated to determine which is newest; just reach into the back of the shelf and find a tag a different color than the front loaves. Bread is usually restocked by the vendor and they always rotate back-to-front. And unless you’re in some freakishly large bread section, I never see more than two different date tags.

edit for typo

1 Like

While color is important, here is a good article on bag clip taxonomy in general.

2 Likes

… um, how would that work exactly :thinking:

Are we the exception here in Ontario :canada: ? I’ve never seen a bread clip without the best before date on it. :thinking:

1 Like

Get the bread that will stay fresh in the time period you plan to use it, not the one that stays fresh the longest. Otherwise you’re only contributing to food waste as older breads get thrown away unnecessarily.

5 Likes

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.