Breakfast: rating dishes from around the world

Oh yeah, Harina P.A.N. is a pantry staple for me. Hence the constant search for new fillings.

The thread is at https://bbs.boingboing.net/t/happy-mutants-food-and-drink-topic-part-2/

3 Likes

Pretty much the short answer is this, particularly if it’s leftovers of meat dishes.

And thanks, i’ll shoot you some ideas

5 Likes

It’s probably amazing! Or you’ll get food poisoning and die. Either way, worth trying?

5 Likes

Sounds like Onion Soup; a “simple” recipe that takes real practice to get right.

2 Likes

We had Belgian waffles for dinner on Monday - and we don’t even live in Belgium!

2 Likes

Please also post the cachitos recipe! I don’t bake but my spouse does and if I ask really nicely, he’ll probably make some for me. Interested in the arepas too.

4 Likes

winona-ryder-confused-maths

5 Likes

Eggs Benedict with a Bloody Mary followed by a cigarette and depression. Says the American.

4 Likes

For me the problem was not having any kind of reference. I’d had arepas made for me just once or twice, never seen anyone make them before. I think if you grew up eating them and had watched someone make them growing up it would probably just be a lot easier. I just made them a few times a week until I felt like I had it down. I’d just eat them with cheese and beans for lunch. Same with tortillas. When the pandemic started, like a lot of people I had more time and motivation than usual and I used it to get as good at arepas and tortillas as my grandma was at bread - she could make a loaf of bread at any time with no effort or recipe and it came out perfect every time, it was just worn into her body and brain by repetition.

5 Likes

also known as Sunday Brunch at the country club.

2 Likes

Those are the real kolaches; you lucked out in having her for your grandma!

3 Likes

Canadian Lol GIF
Exactly!

1 Like

reads ryan adams GIF

2 Likes

Me? 1 part mango juice; 1 part milk. Yumulicious.

1 Like

Are we supposed to be talking every day breakfast or the kinds of breakfasts we want every day but shouldn’t have? :thinking:
My typical breakfast is a berry smoothie. Strawberries, blueberries, cherries, raspberries, vanilla yogurt, tablespoon of ground flaxseed, cinnamon.

5 Likes

I don’t eat breakfast but does a giant mug of coffee count?

4 Likes

In Bali, the typical breakfast is either nasi goring, which is fried rice with an egg on top, or bubur ayam, which is a rice porridge with chicken and gravy/stock.

Also, most places I’ve seen here have pancakes and waffles on the dessert menu instead of the breakfast one…

There’s a couple street vendors in Canggu with food that looks SOO GOOD, but they serve it with bowls and spoons that they just sort of wipe off with a damp rag between customers, and I just can’t bring myself to do it.

3 Likes

Would they be offended if you showed up with like your own bowl and spoon? Tell them it was prophesied you’d die horribly or wish you had if you ever used a different set of cutlery.

2 Likes

Be nice, charming and respectful about it, and tip big.

eat-breakfast

3 Likes