'Breaking Bad' bad boys pushing blue product for Super Bowl ad

Originally published at: 'Breaking Bad' bad boys pushing blue product for Super Bowl ad | Boing Boing

1 Like

um…really? Gotta be the most expensive Superbowl ad buy ever

18 Likes

So I’m guessing a person would have to have actually watched ‘Breaking Bad’ to really appreciate this. It doesn’t mean anything to me.

3 Likes

BTW, I won’t be watching the Super Bowl either. But I might enjoy some reading of Superb Owl.

3 Likes

They could have done like Scientology: Rather than an official Super Bowl commercial, they buy local spots in their key membership areas, which is a lot cheaper, but makes Scientologists think that they’re playing in the big leagues.

But probably not, so… yikes!

3 Likes

Or an error…might be that :wink:

5 Likes

At ~$1MM per second, thats $3.6 billion!

5 Likes

Far less than .1 Twitters! A bargain!

6 Likes

Much as I loved Breaking Bad… these constant shilling reunions are getting a bit much, no?

5 Likes

That was pretty cool!

I trust everyone here will be rooting with me for the Chiefs :wink:

2 Likes

Philadelphia Eagles Sport GIF by Sealed With A GIF

3 Likes

I’d bet on a per-viewer basis it’ll end up being one of the cheapest. They’re up to around 8 million views of the various clips on the Youtubes. It’s been featured on the Today show and other media outlets, and it’s all over various social media. That’s all before the Super Bowl, and not counting the replays after.

Seems like money well spent.

1 Like

You had a chance to end your comment with ‘yo’ - but I guess that would’ve been more shilling.

4 Likes

It’s money badly spent when they could have gotten the same coverage they’re getting now without paying for the Superbowl ad itself. The game hasn’t even been played yet.

I bet they could have said: “See the ad we weren’t able to run during the big game!” and posted it and gotten just as many views.

Also: the ad is actually pretty bad, at least in my opinion. This is just… wow… a monumental waste of money. Not only buying the time during the game, but paying those actors for reprising these roles and doing so hamfistedly and unfunnily. Because I didn’t find that funny at all, I found it intensely painful to watch the three of them.

1 Like

Fly Seagulls Fly!

I think you missed the error which @anon52120741 was pointing out.

2 Likes

Certainly possible, and generally true even beyond this little corner of the world.

2 Likes

This kind of years-later-revisit never goes well. The actors are not the same people they were (not to mention older and heavier) and they don’t have the razor-sharp handle on the character that they once did. It ends up feeling like a high school play because the actors don’t have their head in the game on those characters any more. Even when attempted sincerely, like the fourth season of Arrested Development, it ends up being hard to watch. So much of a good performance is about who the actor was and where their head was at the time. It’s lightning in a bottle and it never works to try and reproduce it later. Certainly not with a different lighting, hair, makeup, writing, and production team. All of which are as important to the performance as the actual acting is.

5 Likes

i was prepared to hate it, but i did not.

2 Likes

The indispensable Dr Poliakov and Neil are cooking up blue crystal too: