Breaking: Trump's $175 million bond in jeopardy: NY AG doubts its validity

me like. Just don’t put that ingenious contraption in water because the magnets won’t work.

6 Likes

To take cruel joy in watching them jerk back and forth on the end of the hook? To catch them in EVEN MORE LIES?

12 Likes

i was also struck by this

“Knight Specialty Insurance Company is not a New York domestic insurer, and New York surplus lines insurance laws do not regulate the solvency of non-New York excess lines insurers,” he said. “So we don’t believe we need the 10% surplus.”

that’s… amazing. so under their theory, ny requires its licensed insurers to have collateral; but hey, if you’re not licensed: it’s all good, do whatever.

i can’t believe that’s how things work

13 Likes

Another old reference that seems to fit the bill here:

10 Likes

Also: “Right, pull the other one.”

7 Likes

A company which isn’t based in New York says it’s received a promise of $175M from Trump, so they’ve promised to pay $484M to New York if Trump’s appeal fails. However New York’s accountants don’t believe the company has got the $484M if the appeal fails.

Who is on the hook if the appeal fails? I should have thought the state would just send the bailiffs round to seize Trump Tower Hotel and so on, until they’ve got $484M.

Or does the state have to collect the $484M from the dodgy out of state loans company?

8 Likes

Wednesday is not well-pleased with the offer.

13 Likes
11 Likes

Is this the equivalent of regular people forgetting to sign the check for the electric bill or putting the wrong check in the envelope when paying the water or bill?

When regular people bounce a check it’s expensive, when rich people do it it’s just, oopsy.

We know, they know it, everyone knows it, two sets of rules.

9 Likes

Trump’s had a lifetime to learn all the grifts and dodges; these prosecutors are noobs by comparison. The legal system isn’t going to save us from Trump; only organizing and getting the vote out in November has any chance of sending him to the wintry hinterlands of exile.

10 Likes

I loved Top Cat when I was a kid

5 Likes

And the plot continues to thicken.

16 Likes

I’ll have to try that for my friend who’s jailed on a half-million dollar bond. It’s a practical impossibility for him to raise that much.

7 Likes

Ethics rules. Good one.

11 Likes

Ethics rules, corruption drools!

6 Likes

No paywall:

11 Likes

You don’t say!
Well, surprise, surprise, surprise!

9 Likes

From The Daily Beast:

Perhaps even more troubling, the legal document from Knight Specialty Insurance Company doesn’t actually promise it will pay the money if the former president loses his $464 million bank fraud case on appeal. Instead, it says Trump will pay, negating the whole point of an insurance company guarantee, according to three legal and bond experts who reviewed the contract for The Daily Beast.

IMG_1184

14 Likes

Excited Friday GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

9 Likes

“But the Trumpian part is that even though, or perhaps because, it may be part of a Trump scam, Knight now too may be on the hook for $175 million as it won’t automatically get out from underneath its own proffered surety.”

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

14 Likes