Trump is lying to avoid paying $464 million judgment, says NY Attorney General Letitia James

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/20/trump-is-lying-to-avoid-paying-464-million-judgment-says-ny-attorney-general-letitia-james.html

13 Likes

Amazing what pops up when you search “surprised face”.

34 Likes

Wow I’m gonna put “Trump NY Property Seizures” on my calendar for Monday just to remind myself to actively look for news articles when it starts.

22 Likes

On Tuesday, isn’t it?

I think there might not be a live coverage of poor donnie searching for pennies to come up with the money until the deadline.

7 Likes

I wonder how much of Trump’s attempt to find surety companies willing to secure a bond involved some Trumpian shenanigans that derailed the attempts. Like Trump saying, “I’ll put these particular buildings up as collateral - they’re worth that amount!” and the companies saying, “Not a chance - the buildings are worth half of what you claim they are, plus you still owe the banks 80% of the value of the buildings…”

25 Likes

This is a disingenuous excuse on its face, because even if no single bond company had enough cash to provide a bond covering the entire sum on their own there still wouldn’t be anything stopping Trump from getting five or six smaller bonds from several different companies.

That is, there wouldn’t be anything stopping him if he really did have the assets needed to secure the bonds.

19 Likes

I believe the phrase is “put up or shut up.”
It’s been a long time coming.

19 Likes

Hope they seize Trump Tower and tear it down. It’s hideous.

15 Likes

FTFY. :wink:

19 Likes
11 Likes

It’s almost like the fable of the little boy who cried lower property values at tax time, but higher property values when obtaining a loan, and then found he was unable to obtain a bond as no institution could fulfill their fiduciary responsibility to shareholders/owners by negotiating a deal with someone who was infamously and unrepentantly dishonest.

33 Likes

That feels less like a fable and more like a campfire story. “And that boy…was former president Donald Trump!” (Assorted screams)

21 Likes

I’d really like to see some petard hoisting here.

“We’ll give you the bond with the real estate as surety, but only at the tax value”

17 Likes

“Hello Rocket Man? I’m having a sale on some of the best secrets, and wanted to give you the first chance to buy.”

11 Likes

He doesn’t even own those properties, at most he owns the naming rights, lobby or the parking garage, and maybe one or two units within them.

10 Likes

Just keep seizing stuff he does own. Letitia James will tell you when to stop.

18 Likes

Can they sell the naming rights at auction? Rename Trump tower to “The Fuckface von Clownstick Building”?
“Loser Central”, “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Sundays at 11pm EST Tower”?

7 Likes

Oh wait, please, please, don’t tear it down, lets make it the "Homeless + Refugee Antifa Center "!

13 Likes

Turns out NYAG is unlikely to go after Trump Tower in the near term since The Orange Guy already has a $50M loan out using TT as collateral

5 Likes

It sounds like his building is underwater.

5 Likes