Breaking: Trump's $175 million bond in jeopardy: NY AG doubts its validity

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/04/breaking-trumps-175-million-bond-in-jeopardy-ny-ag-doubts-its-validity.html

14 Likes

59 Likes

One grifter supporting another grifter in a huge grift. I would love to be shocked. Really, I would.

49 Likes

Fuckin A, Doc.

30 Likes

This seems designed as yet another delay tactic. And I would imagine one bordering on outright fraud. They probably knew all along that this would not pass scrutiny.

31 Likes

Delay. Delay. Delay.

Why in the world did James give them 10 days to sort this out? Oh come on! This was a BS move and she knows it.

Sort it out in 24hrs tops I’d say.

30 Likes

I think not filling out the form properly the first time, and with no financial information attached, was a big red Take A Closer Look flag.

37 Likes

wait the guy who’s business to give out shady loans. gave out a shady loan? the courts are looking like simple marks.

30 Likes

Leave it to von Clownstick to commit fraud while appealing a fraud conviction. < chef’s kiss >

35 Likes

AND for it not making a damn bit of difference in bringing him any closer to a prison cell.*

* Not that this case was necessarily going to do that, but you know them feels.

29 Likes

They have that pen at the dollar store, you run it over a $20 to see if it’s fake. Use that on the bond.

Also: for once I’d like hear them say “Breaking News!” and it’s this:

breakintoo

28 Likes

I really have enjoyed finding out that New York’s financial laws are so heavily weighted on the state getting paid before they do anything, and that they will happily do the homework to make sure your check clears.

11 Likes

Remains to be seen but, I thought this might be a bonehead move; more likely exposing hankey than helping trump. So much for the claimed genius of the elites.

10 Likes

This is what absolutely pisses me off the most. I keep seeing people talk about how NY AG, Fulton County DA, Jack Smith, etc. is playing chess out here outmaneuvering trump and his legal team. This is it, THIS time, we’ve got him!
Nah…trump and all of his indictments and past legal woes is real life “playing chess against a pigeon”. We keep trying to nail his jello ass to a wall and it isn’t working.

18 Likes

$175 million bond that allowed him to appeal the $464 million fraud judgment

This gets misreported a lot. The bonds in the New York State cases aren’t to allow him to appeal the judgements, they’re to stay collection on the judgements while he appeals. He doesn’t have to put up the money to file his appeals, but if he doesn’t then they can start collecting on the judgements while the appeals are in process.

23 Likes

Knight Specialty Insurance presenting their financial paperwork.

57f9d871d414578b683454dd03ed28f5

16 Likes

Lt. Dan to Forrest: “Are you stupid?”
Forrest to Lt. Dan: “Stupid is as stupid does, sir!”

10 Likes
17 Likes

This describes the shenanigans pretty well…

Hankey said that Trump used “cash” as collateral for the bond, a total of $175 million.
“First he furnished about $120 million worth of bonds that we OK’d, so we assumed it would be investment-grade bonds and cash. But as it turned out, it was all cash,” he told CBS News in a brief phone call on Tuesday.
But Trump retained that $175 million cash collateral, according to Shah. He said the money is in an account that is “pledged” to the company. He would not specify the type of account. Trump paid a premium to the company that Shah declined to disclose.

Reminds me of the classic comic book drawing of a kid buying a soda with a nickel that’s tied to a string so he can pull it back out of the coin slot.

26 Likes

As long as we’re going for the old references…I’ll gladly pay you Wednesday for a bail bond today…

21 Likes