Trump's civil fraud bond stands

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/22/trumps-civil-fraud-bond-stands.html

9 Likes

Seems like a reasonable outcome. Close the glaring flaws in the contract and make sure the collateral isn’t going to simply disappear, but allow things to keep moving so the appeals can play out and Trump is forced to actually pay the fines.

There should be some scrutiny on why these absurd terms were accepted in the first place.

13 Likes

No Way GIF

We know why, because Trump is a wealthy white man and different rules apply. He should have been on the hook for the full amount and then when he could not pay, his shit should have been taken away.

31 Likes

Oh man and I was sooo looking forward to the seize parties.

8 Likes

Well, at least it’s a reasonable outcome on this specific question, ignoring all the judgements that led up to Trump being allowed to only post a fractional bond. At least the factional bond now appears to be an actual bond and not… whatever scam(s) it was before, which feels like a marginal victory.

I’m friggin’ exhausted just watching Trump being allowed to avoid accountability, time after time after time.

10 Likes

Yeah, I guess this is what I was really getting at when I said it was a “reasonable outcome.” Taken in isolation, if the bond that Trump secured doesn’t have appropriate terms then the judge should enforce terms that are appropriate. Moreover, don’t get embroiled in some long back and forth of delays that only postpone the final outcome. Justice delayed is justice denied.

I am more than happy to concede that the situation itself is unacceptable. The reduced bond, the sketchiness of the bond itself, and the fact that Trump was able to harass the court staff for weeks with no material punishments are all indefensible.

5 Likes

Trump wouldn’t be Trump without at least trying to screw someone over on a huge sum, so good on them for looking over the bond closely for loopholes.

I’m not sure how to define “reasonable” with huge sums like this, when most people live hand to mouth and will never see even just ONE million dollars in their lifetime.

Apparently Trump’s legal fees alone for the last year come to $66million.

7 Likes

It’s probably a securities account with $175 million of Trump Media stock.

3 Likes

There’s still a chance that one of the monthly statements shows irregularities. That would give them cause to seize property.

6 Likes

That is a certainty. But they won’t, because actual accountability is apparently a mirage that is only meant to keep the plebes in line. It’s not for people like Trump.

Still waiting for one real, actual consequence that actually affects him. If any single person that I know personally had done a tiny fraction of the crap he’s done they would be in prison and/or broke.

2 Likes

That’s almost certainly what they planned on doing, but these changes mean it has to be actual cash now.

2 Likes

With much attention now focused on Trump’s criminal trial, Engoron noticed the relative paucity of courtroom attendees compared with when he oversaw the civil fraud trial.
“Where is everyone?” he joked at the beginning of the hearing.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trumps-175-million-bond-goes-before-judge-new-york-ags-concerns-2024-04-22/

2 Likes

Trump will provide a monthly account statement certifying that there are sufficient cash funds for the bond.

“This account contains so much cash, plenty of funds, it contains the best money, believe me.”

When will anybody stop trusting this yahoo, and instead force him to actually pony up some cash?

6 Likes

It’s still an unreported de facto illegal campaign contribution. A “friend” who is a campaign donor should not be allowed to post a bond for a presidential candidate. List this as #10,234,234 on the list of things that would end any other politician’s career that T**** gets away with because our political and justice systems are broken.

6 Likes

Yeah, the whole thing is bullshit and a stack of scams, but it previously didn’t seem to even be a bond, which it now is at least.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.