3 Likes

8 Likes

Obligatory crypto-nazi response:

4 Likes

sucession risks for Scotland and Northern Ireland

Shouldn’t that be secession risks?

2 Likes

FYI: Planet of the Apes/Big Ben pic credit goes to @jeremiahtolbert

That reminds me - @japhroaig - you’ve found a new place to stay, right?

5 Likes

sucession risks for Scotland and Northern Ireland

Huh?

As they didn’t bother to appoint a deputy PM when they took office, secession is unclear.

Oh.
Looks like a switcheroo to me.

yeah, and it is working out well. i still have a few pieces of furniture i need to put together, but i’m getting there.

or i can just buy some stuff cheap from england cuz of the currency crash :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Oh, chill, man!

That’s what they said about QuĂ©bec, when all the head offices moved to Toronto after the language laws were passed. While there was some economic pull-back, the province has been doing relatively well since then and is, IMHO, a much more liveable place than many big cities.

Britain’s gotten through much, much worse, they’ll get through this. Maybe now, there will be a real chance to have some proper democracy, rather than the “contempt for real democracy, maintaining only the façade of respecting the popular will” (R. Parry - A 'Brexit Blow to the Establishment) which is what we’ve been getting for the last few decades.

1 Like

But if there’s a sudden drop in the value of the Pound Sterling, won’t that help British exports? 
and thus British manufacturing? 
and thus employment?

Worse economy -> no job -> can’t get a mortgage

Keep up, Bond.

Tariffs will cancel that out within Europe.

We’ll see for the rest.

Britain has gotten through worse, yes. But it’s the crack-handed nature of the vote that is atrocious.

Britain got through WW2 of course. With American help (just a little). We finished paying the USA back in 
 2005? I’m serious. We had to pay for 60 years for that rescue.

Correlated to the end of that repayment schedule is an overall boom in Britain. Weird, huh?

“Britain has gotten through worse” is lukewarm tea.

It’s time to face facts. There is no industrial revolution to drive the UK. The financial sector is going to wipe out. And will be unable to contribute the enormous taxes it has been paying.

This is a disaster of - I don’t know - national proportions.

6 Likes

It’s not an opinion you’re stating here. This is exactly what happened in the US when home prices crashed.

[edit] And I should add that rental prices went even higher as a result of people losing their houses after losing their job.

10 Likes

Maybe like .0003% chance? It’s harder me to foresee a crisis of this sort precipitating anything other than even worse governance and less representation, though YMMV. Given the results of this experiment in pure democracy, with voters explaining their newfound regret and cluelessness for voting exit, do you think whoever’s stuck trying to rebuild is going to have a lot of respect for the idea of listening to the people again very soon? Are the House of Lords and your monarchy going to disappear as a result?

2 Likes

This is a disaster of - I don’t know - national proportions.

Why so dramatic? It’s the new normal. Keep calm and carry on, just like your parents did.

2 Likes

In the mid 60s there was mass emigration from the UK - scramming the high taxes and general awful situation. It was well previewed to leave - it took maybe 20-25 years to get somewhere actually useful?

1 Like

Oh yeah - these are self-driving spirals we do not want to ride on.

If house prices fall 20%, and Europeans stop investing in UK property, and business suffers, then we’ll be on a self-driving spiral.

None of this would matter if the UK had some such thing so superior to the EU that they wouldn’t punish us. But they will, because we don’t.

Well on the plus side, London will have less power as the finance industry leaves and you’ll no longer be shackled to the financial industry and banks!

Of course, that will be because they no longer exist and not because income inequality is solved.

sucession risks for Scotland

“secession” is correct. it’s referring to Scotland leaving, seceding from, the UK.