#Brexit: Actual footage of UK trying to leave EU

No worries:

7 Likes
4 Likes

Overcome any and all obstacles by sheer force of willpower and bloody-mindedness. It’s the English way!

4 Likes

One wonders what reality they exist in - The tories are a minority government, and the hard/soft Brexit debate cuts across their own party - Today’s standing order that puts Parliament (not government) in control of the House’s business came from one of their own!

How the flip do they expect a MORE decisive path to BREXIT to be even remotely possible?

1 Like

Haha, I really missed this gif

1 Like

IDK how realistic they are either, but at this stage it’s their best chance.

They just might get the May Deal over the line, if the DUP could be persuaded to vote for it which at the moment seems unlikely.

There’s also a lot of briefing and press talk about “the will of the people” and so on, but I don’t believe it has much effect any more.

Personally I think once Parliament as a whole gets the bit between their teeth with these indicative votes, they won’t let go of it.

The question then will be how many Tory soft Brexiteers/Remainers will defy the government and ERG to vote on any resolutions which the government wants to disregard, and Parliament wants to enforce.

Once this happens, the only way out for the government would be to dissolve Parliament, which they can’t do because of the Fixed Terms act. We might see the government bring a vote of no confidence in itself hoping to lose, which would be hilarious. Corbyn would jump on it with both feet.

This would also require the government to apply to the EU for an extension of at least six weeks to allow a general election to take place. The new government (if it was not a hung parliament yet again) would then need to apply for a further extension to allow its Brexit policy to be sorted out.

All this would take us well beyond the May 22nd deadline for EU elections, so that’s another technical problem to be solved.

There are more noises from Brussels indicating a potential willingness to extend Article 50 to the end of 2020. I think this is because the EU is increasingly hopeful that the UK will gradually drag itself around to a second referendum which Remain is likely to win.

It is in the back of my mind that it’s still constitutionally available to the Speaker to deny the May Deal a third vote. It hasn’t changed a jot since last time.

1 Like

Considering this also requires ALL of the conservative party voting for it too - give the history, that’s a huge stretch.

1 Like

They can probably get some Labour MPs on their side too, which offsets some Conservative rebels.

Even so, it is a stretch.

I’m not saying it’s likely to happen, just that the ERG have suddenly woken up and realised it is their best chance right now.

It can work.
If conditions are just right.

ezgif-2-69456a1fff5f

6 Likes

Nope, they need to crash and burn. Some people need to learn their lesson through painful experience. We don’t need them to drag us down any longer. They can rejoin when they finally made up their mind.

It’s a shame you weren’t brought up in the UK. You have the nationalist little Englander mentality almost perfectly, it’s only some of the details that are wrong.

9 Likes

Actually it’s the nationalist self-important UK electorate that’s shitting on one of the greatest peace projects post-WW2. The EU brought peace, stability and prosperity to Western Europe for more than 70 years. Even as a member various UK governments blockaded and hampered progress in the EU for decades while at the same time whining constantly about the EU being to slow and bureaucratic. The UK as a major member is/was responsible how the EU, its institutions and bodies were created and instead of helping to reform it they point fingers and leave. We’re better off without them - the UK never shared the same ideas and idealism.

1 Like

So basically, “[people of nation x] are all the same.” The mantra of all nationalists around the world.

I stongly oppose Brexit to the point where I wish we were part of the Shengen area, but some mean spirited people have decided that I am the same as Nigel Farage and Jacob Rees-Mogg because of the country I live in. I felt I was more European than British before the Brexit vote (voting remain was an obvious choice) and I’m having both taken away from me because of the actions of nationalists over the whole continent.

All nationalists can go and fuck themselves, no matter what country they identify with. I didn’t get to choose which lump of rock I was born on. Eugene V. Debs was right.

I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth; I am a citizen of the world.

13 Likes

In a democracy the people as sovereign are responsible for their government - even those that didn’t vote or those that voted for the minority result. People living in a democracy can influence the result of an election, either through vote or political activism (or lack of). It’s a shared responsibility. So yes, that’s why I hold the citizens of the UK responsible for the mess their government created.

One world; we all have to live together on this planet.

8 Likes

they have their own interesting little details, the nationalists in that country where he lives

8 Likes

I wonder if @FFabian is OK with being held responsible for the rise of the AfD? His arguments seem to suggest he is.

I wouldn’t normally do that but I can make an exception for him, if he really wants to.

6 Likes

I signed the petition, but was talked out of doing the march by a remainer friend who was very concerned about my planned pain medication to manage it. I was going to take the equivalent of 10mg of morphine every 4-6 hours to complete it, that’s how I feel about staying in the EU.

I honestly have never understood why people take opioids for pleasure, they just make me clumsy. I keep walking into door frames and handles when I take high doses.

9 Likes

So May is on her way out. Turns out the hard Brexit people didn’t not like her deal, they didn’t like not being the ones in power.

What a shameless bunch of shits the Brexit bunch are. They’re like the fucking Tories of the fucking Tories.

7 Likes

Hey, that’s a pretty low way to… no, actually I’m good.

11 Likes