Brexit and Brexit Accessories

5 Likes

I think I’m getting to the point where I am exhausted after saying “We told you that this would happen” over and over again.

10 Likes

Am from Sunderland, can confirm, they really are that stupid. Most of the councillors are likely remainers, but the electorate? Yeah. Also, it’s adorable that The London Economic thinks any building that fancy is Sunderland’s council offices. Noooononononono. They look like this:
sunderland

Only the reality isn’t as attractive as the picture, even.

5 Likes

I could post about 20 different articles in this thread every day, so I try to limit myself to breaking news and those articles that get to a deeper truth in my opinion. This one is one of the second category.

Sometimes I really think they believe that there is some sort of invisible wall around the UK that makes it impossible for us fellow Europeans to read their news and other publications. How else did he think he’d get away with this?

11 Likes

Thank you for this. For those of us who aren’t aware of the specifics of politics “across the pond” or even where to look for information, your curation has been invaluable.

4 Likes

Hapless DEFRA secretary Eustice

This government has its fair share of spineless jellyfish in Tory suits but Eustice would make the top 5 for sure - utterly clueless in all manner of policy.

Ain’t that the truth. As this car crash continues more and more seemingly unforeseen consequences are making themselves known, whether that’s Valve placing a hold on Index returns or a small indie book shop being unable to sell Cory’s latest non-fiction book to Brits because of extra costs. Inconsequential on their own but Brexit is like death by a thousand cuts, just wait until the food riots start.

5 Likes

9 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-03/u-k-inflames-eu-tensions-with-unilateral-northern-ireland-move

“deeply unhelpful” to fostering trust between Britain and the EU.

That’s diplomat speak for “craven duplicitous fucks”

They’re just plain breaking the withdrawal agreement.

5 Likes

Oh no.

8 Likes

I was just coming to post that… here is the BBC on the same story…

7 Likes

Troubles 2 - Brexit Boogaloo

3 Likes

So many talking heads on the news saying Boris promised this or promised that - buyers remorse is strong in these people. They are just stupid enough to believe an arch bullshitter like Johnson can solve an intractable problem like an Irish border without ripping to shreds the GFA, i mean the promises of some sort of magical technological solution was just more horseshit heaped on top of horseshit and if they keep digging they’ll find a pony underneath all the shit (thanks to Cory for his new favourite metaphor). I worry where this is going because the Tories seem hellbent on again breaking the withdrawal agreement but it’s not like any of this wasn’t foreseeable from day one.

5 Likes

I really hope not…

2 Likes

Same here.

4 Likes

“Did they not think that the EU would continue to apply its rules – rules that Britain helped create as a member?

I think this is possibly the thing that baffles me the most about the whole idea, certainly a top 5 thing.

We spent years working away to get EU measures in place to bolster and protect UK industries (sad laugh) and agriculture, fisheries (salmon, molluscs, etc.) and so on only to decide that actually none of that was happening after all and it was all nasty “EU bureaucrats” imposing naff vacuum cleaners and dim lightbulbs and letting all the foreigners in.

So we leave and then complain when all the protectionist measures we successfully managed to put in place as members bite us as non-members.

Of course they bloody do. They were tailor-made to apply exactly to our main EU-export products, you berks!

13 Likes

They are burying the lede, IMO. The legal proceedings will probably take years and end in a fine or some sort of minor tariffs. This, however might have huge consequences:

However MEPs in the European parliament have already taken steps to delay formal ratification of the wider trade and cooperation agreement between Britain and the EU pending the outcome of the latest row.

7 Likes

That’s mentioned in passing because they already covered it yesterday.

2 Likes

Erasmus replacement revealed- it’s useless:

4 Likes

And of course no provisions for incoming students: the ones that can help broaden the minds of even those domestic students that couldn’t afford to study abroad themselves.

3 Likes

There are local elections in England and Wales in just over a months time, and Starmer is already making excuses for why Labour are going to lose. Specifically, he is staying that Boris Johnson is handling covid well.

:roll_eyes:

If that is the case then why are Labour in a three way battle in the Hartlepool by-election, between Labour, Tories, and the Northern Independence Party, who didn’t exist a year ago and seem to be supported by Corbyn supporters who feel like they have been pushed out of the party.

Brexit has broken Britain as a concept, and possibly England too.

5 Likes