Brexit and Brexit Accessories

It’s well worth watching the original video. It’s in.sane

And he posted that himself. He thought that would make him look good.

It’s also pretty transparently revenge on the BBC for this incident

ETA: I should add another thing for context. The BBC director who comes across as the reasonable one rebuffing these ridiculous complaints in the video is a former Tory parliamentary candidate who recently cancelled the only show really criticising the government after promising not to do so. It’s a multi-pronged attack on the BBC.

4 Likes

I just checked our state broadcaster’s annual report and I am ashamed and saddened to discover that there are no Irish flags on it. Anywhere.

I will of course be complaining to all the authorities and the UN immediately.

The only flag I saw was a pride flag.

6 Likes

I just checked ours and not only doesn’t it have any flags, it doesn’t have any pictures at all, except photos of the authors. The rest is text, graphs and tables!

How is my fragile ego supposed to cope with that?

6 Likes

I dunno. A support group for insufficiently massaged nationalist egos seems in order.

5 Likes

I thought that’s what the Conservative Party was trying to become this year?

6 Likes

What a bunch of twunts, they’re really doubling down on this flag waving rah rah jingoism. He’s right, it’s an utterly bizarre metric to judge by and look at his happy little smug face! Like he’s thinking ‘gotcha!’.

I would have liked to see what they would have made of Fox News UK GB News, no doubt they’d have returned the favour and appeared in their so called ‘wokewatch’ segment.

1 Like

Nish did get a parting shot in. Slightly paraphrasing from what he said about it on the Bugle (because I’m not going to transcribe word for word):

I was asked to give a comment on the story but I decided to maintain a dignified silence. However, I did post a still from the show on my twitter feed of me with the words “Boris Johnson is a liar and a racist” behind me (which due to unique legal circumstances at the time we were allowed to have on air despite the BBC’s stringent requirements). The Daily Mail called the screenshot “neither big nor clever”. And I agree, the image is neither big nor clever. If, however you post that image as part of an official response to an ongoing news story knowing full well that that is going to be reprinted in newspapers that are very favourable towards the current prime minister I would say that is both big and clever.

6 Likes

And here it is!

Also, here is the podcast in question which i just started listening to. Thanks, Doctor.

6 Likes

There are so many jaw-dropping quotes in this that you should just read the whole thing.

8 Likes
4 Likes

Nothing surprising here.

4 Likes

oh, and why not, wait! Look over there!

9 Likes

Literally nobody could have seen this coming.

:neutral_face:

12 Likes

To be fair they absolutely were shafted by the Tories. The minute they had their votes they screwed them over (as they always have, and always were going to) but a huge amount of blame goes to the DUP for imagining they could have a herd of Lesser Spotted Unicorns to trade as they pleased.

Oh, and as always, those unionists who are not, personally homophobic, transphobic, anti-women’s health, racist, bigots who regularly hold their noses and vote DUP “strategically”. There is an empirical way to find out what policies you support, and it’s not some online political compass. It’s how you vote, and what they stand for. They need to own it and change politics in Northern Ireland.

12 Likes

I’m sure the Spanish are heartbroken…

4 Likes

I’ve said this before, but you know how you don’t hear about someone for a while, then they suddenly pop up again and remind you that they’re still a complete dick…

Yep, this keeps happening.

8 Likes

27l6ht

5 Likes

A UK government spokesperson said: “The United Kingdom is the most successful political and economic union the world has ever seen …

That’s some Trumpian language right there…

8 Likes

“even major political ructions such as the close-run 2014 Scottish referendum and the following year’s SNP landslide prompted little soul-searching in Westminster.”

Well when you have a compliant media and a seemingly endless stretch of power you are not going to be self-critical… It’s not like they are there because of a relentless pursuit of excellence and self-improvement.

6 Likes