Brexit and Brexit Accessories

3 Likes

I will pay to send Tommy Robinson to Russia permanently. Just a taxi fare to the airport and a one way Ryanair plane ticket though, he can sort everything else out himself.

9 Likes

Presented by the UK Government

Well, there was that one time Johnson uttered the infamous “fuck business” quote, a very rare example of someone in this government not lying… :wink:

2 Likes

EXPLAINED: How can Brits in Sweden retain all their rights post-Brexit?

Spoiler alert: they can’t.

They may be able to retain their rights in Sweden if they’ve lived there for long enough but good luck moving to another country in the EU from there. Or even working there for a while for their Swedish employers. And good luck finding a new job that needs a lot of travel across Europe. They will never succeed over someone who has the right of free movement.

7 Likes

He’ll get right on that, I’m sure…

5 Likes

It feels like this thread has gone beyond brexit now, although everything that’s happening is probably brexit adjacent, but this current government is infested with sleaze, cronyism and corruption. Then you’ve got the chief executive bullshitter - he’s not a liar oh no no, a liar cares whether you believe their lies, a bullshitter does not.

7 Likes

On the plus side both the Mail and the Express have written scathing articles about him recently. Seems like his owners tire of their marionette.

2 Likes

“This is a classic example of how belief has overtaken evidence and become embedded in a complex sociopolitical discourse which is almost certainly motivated by something very different from that actual issue,” said Ian Boyd, a professor of biology at the University of St. Andrews. “Chlorine-washed chicken is almost certainly a proxy for much deeper issues concerning trust.”

Fuck US food standards, a classic case of regulatory capture…

Take eggs for example, you have to refrigerate them in the US, because the conditions for chickens are so poor that salmonella is endemic, and the the eggs need to be washed to ensure they aren’t coated in it. Meanwhile, in the UK (and many other parts of the world), they realized improving the conditions of the chickens would improve their health, and in fact, a few years ago, they even gave the green light to pregnant women and vulnerable people to eat raw eggs (in mayo for example) if the eggs have the red lion stamp, as they’ve improved conditions so much that salmonella is no longer a risk. Eggs, when unwashed are sealed, and do not need to be refrigerated.

In the US? That would cut into profits, and shareholders wouldn’t like that.

Still plenty of problems with battery chickens and factory farming here, but it’s not even on the same scale as US antibiotic fed animals…

5 Likes

“chlorinated chicken” is the new sovereignty

:thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t know if this is strictly Brexit related, but…

At what point does the opposition call for a no confidence vote? After this, the rise in unrest in NI, Johnson making comments about letting the bodies pile up, etc…

5 Likes
5 Likes

Would be nice if we had an opposition. Sadly they got recaptured by the right so are busy abstaining on anything of importance…

But they did keep the left out of of power, so they’ve gotten what they wanted…

5 Likes

Good point… labour seems not much better right now under Starmer…

Sad Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

5 Likes
2 Likes

Brexit confusion

APN also looks at cases of UK nationals having trouble accessing services and benefits in Finland—even though British citizens permanently resident in Finland since 31 December 2020 who have registered under the withdrawal agreement should have the same rights as before Brexit.

Last week on APN, British ambassador Tom Dodd was keen to remind British people to claim their rights after Brexit. But since then, Brits living in Finland have reached out regarding bureaucratic hassles they’re facing at employment offices and hospitals.

“When I approached the TE office to register as unemployed, I was told that due to Brexit, there were issues in doing that,” UK national Stephen Penny told APN.

Benefits agency Kela said it’s up to individuals facing problems in the system to escalate the matter.

“You should really explain the situation and say that, ‘I have a place of domicile, and I have the entitlement document from Kela, so what is the problem, really?’” Jasmina Kähkönen from Kela’s cross border healthcare unit told APN.

6 Likes

So. Much. Winning.

6 Likes

Imgur

16 Likes

3 Likes