Brexit and Brexit Accessories

Well it definitely turned me off visiting family when I was a kid. And frankly it would still. You would be pretty unlikely visiting the GDR from the West to be detained at the border and imprisoned though wouldn’t you? It’s a non trivial chance right now visiting the UK.

ETA
You’d probably have to be a bit more Eastern to have a serious chance of imprisonment.

1 Like

Well, you better had your paperwork in perfect order and definitely no “contraband” with you. And be polite and very patient with the border guards. And not be on some list or other for previous misdemeanours. Or be of interest as, say a potential source that might be intimidated into cooperation.
But aside from that, quite unlikely.

Side note: our last visit was in 1988. When we left, we were part of maybe half a dozen trainee guard’s practical exam. That took a little longer than usual. Quite interesting, though.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to be able to visit independent Scotland sooner or later.

4 Likes

14 Likes

I’m working on it.

4 Likes

IIRC just one generation ago the ROI was supposed to be the scary religious fundamentalists

Hard to keep track of what people are fighting about from the outside

Never religion.

3 Likes

Red Dwarf__Lister__Religion as an excuse__what's new

2 Likes
3 Likes

So leave the UK as the Home Counties and a few island tax havens? Tories might just buy this.

2 Likes

Nuh, too many of their donors have interests in the City and the London real estate market.

2 Likes

And just a short five years later.

2 Likes

Finally he’ll reveal what Britain will do with that extra £350MM every week.

4 Likes

Probably for NHS (short for Ninjas, Helicopters, Snacks)

Probably get some of his other houses redecorated.

“This G7 really does provide him with a huge stage to not only throw a great performance for the world’s media, but also bolster his credentials that he is a true leader who can broker agreements between the most powerful people on earth,” said Anand Menon, professor of international politics at King’s College London.

Doesn’t “bolstering” imply that he has had any of these credentials in the first place?

4 Likes

The fact that they’re talking about him like he’s a child trying to impress the grown-ups says it all.

6 Likes

I think the article is right that it could and should be good propaganda for de Pfeiffel/Brexit bros. The tax deal has already been negotiated and this is merely the policy launch. That the Tories are in on this should be galling to Labour who were intensely relaxed with extreme profits. Let’s be clear this has been led by Biden, the EU has been pushing for something like this for years but tax is a national competence. The Tories have been in power forever and haven’t actually cared.

In fact the EU pushing for something similar on financial services united the Tories a lot behind Brexit.

Again in propaganda terms the regime change in the US is going to deliver a big win on climate change simply by doing anything. De Piffle is set for a propaganda victory here simply as he rides a bike. It’s no deeper than that, and the jingoistic cheerleading from the propaganda mills of the Tory billionaire press is going to be sickening. And the people will go along with it joyfully

Remember your Olympics.

3 Likes
1 Like

https://www.ft.com/content/c77b7aa1-cebc-47c6-a04a-d21eef2d1d38

Ok, so this doesn’t onebox. It’s about how the new Brexit Britain ambassador ship will fall foul of WTO rules because they want to build it in Britain but have (because of Brexit) signed up to a WTO agreement that requires them to be non-discriminatory with government tenders in shipbuilding.

5 Likes