Brexit: No-deal opponents defeat government, Boris Johnson loses in Westminster

Dear people of the United Kingdom:

Why is it that you allow your parliament to change their minds - and thus trigger an election - when the people have already voted?

The people voted - they made a choice - that’s (obviously) set in stone for the rest of time (or until enough of the gov’t die off) - because once a vote happens it can NEVER BE UNDONE.

/s

10 Likes

Other legislative bodies often devolve into fistfights.

2 Likes

You may joke, but hard Brexiteers do indeed insist that the referendum result is the definitive “will of the people” and cannot be superseded by a second referendum or a general election.

8 Likes

They do now. Before the referendum, things weren’t so clear cut.

The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

What was that, Nigel? Didn’t quite catch that.

In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way.

Well, fancy that.

15 Likes

One of the EU’s main priorities is Ireland, because a hard Brexit would lead to some kind of border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland (currently there’s just signs), which would breach the Good Friday Agreement, and almost certainly restart The Troubles.
Hence the EU insisting that any possible agreement doesn’t result in a hard border in Ireland, aka “the backstop”. This has been taken by UKIP/the rabid wing of the Tory party as “the EU trying to meddle in UK sovereignty”, rather than the EU trying to prevent a civil war re-igniting, and possibly thousands more people being killed.
So far no one (from any side) has been able to come up with a solution to the backstop, because if there’s any kind of difference in regulations and taxes between the UK and the EU, then there has to be some kind of border somewhere, and basically any kind of border will piss off some of the religious nutcakes in NI (I’m including both the Catholics and the Protestants in that), and that will restart the violence.
There’s already been an uptick in sectarian violence in NI anyway. It’s not the abstract fucking dilemma that people like Rees-Mogg seem to think. People are going to be killed when they fuck this up.

*Edit, even Mike Pence agrees with me ffs.

7 Likes

But then Pence told Ireland to “negotiate in good faith” with Boris Johnson and show “respect for the UK’s sovereignty”.

12 Likes

How British Parliamentarians say “Fuck you, and fuck your dog” in Parliament open session:

“I want to make clear that I have always believed that the referendum result must be honoured, and indeed I’ve voted for the withdrawal agreement on every occasion it has been presented to the house, which is more than can be said for my right honourable friend the prime minister, the leader of house and other members of the cabinet, whose serial disloyalty has been such an inspiration to so many of us.”

Courtesy Sir Nicholas Soames, grandson of Winston Churchill, our fucked Prime Minister’s hero. Boris (the PM) ejected Soames from the party last night when he voted against Boris, along with 20 other members of parliament.

Tonight is the critical one.

10 Likes

Corbyn can be replaced by any number of party members without the baggage he carries or personal enmity he has engendered. Sometimes his supporters treat him more as a cult leader than a party leader.

3 Likes

Todays was Johnson’s first PMQ.

This was the highlight -

9 Likes

11 Likes

Round and round…

6 Likes

Scotland’s probably eager to leave by now. Of course, they would have to obtain the permission of the EU.

2 Likes

No, I disagree. However demagogic Johnson is, his followers do not get apoplectic when he is attacked. That said, if all the Corbynites can say is that “he’s not worse than Johnson” then that is pretty weak

3 Likes

Pretty much what you’d expect from the Express. It’s millionaire owner is desperate to avoid new EU tax evasion laws due Jan 2020.

Ditto The Barclay Bros (Telegraph).

Parliament has taken control of business from the minority government paralyzed for 3 years by a recalcitrant right wing and needless red lines.

Alexander Boris de Piffel Johnson has lost the Daily Mail -

WARNING - DAILY MAIL LINK

There is no way back from that for him.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7427953/Tory-grandee-Sir-Roger-Gale-brands-Boris-Johnsons-strategist-Dominic-Cummings-foul-mouthed-oaf.html

12 Likes

Here is my cousin not really, but he looks just like my cousin on what this recent chain of events and a new election might do to the Tory party…

2 Likes

FTFY.

I understand why Ireland (and everyone else!) doesn’t want violence in Northern Ireland, but it is amazing that the EU is more concerned for the welfare of the UK citizens that the UK itself.

On the other hand, I guess trying to prevent a civil war in the UK is in fact “the EU trying to meddle in UK sovereignty.”

Sigh.

3 Likes

From the sidebar:

Boris Johnson’s blustering strategy has fallen at the first hurdle -Tom Kibasi

4 Likes

There are exactly two solutions to this: Rescind art50 or NI leaves the UK and reunites Ireland… anything else is hot air / lying IMHO…

4 Likes

I don’t find that amazing at all. Our government doesn’t give [insert expletive of choice here] about UK citizens, but the EU does…

1 Like