Brexit results going forward

giphy-2

6 Likes
6 Likes

She’s not wrong, but we have to find some way to live with it.

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Actually informative and helpful:

Questions and Answers on the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from the European Union on 31 January 2020

4 Likes

Nothing in there on the British God-given right to buy and eat chlorinated chicken from the USofA.

1 Like

So they’ve had

• the Referendum campaign
  • the Referendum
  • the post-Referendum, pre-Article 50 period
  • Article 50
  • the post-Article-50, pre-Leaving period
  • Leaving
  • the post-Leaving, but not quite really having left period   YOU ARE HERE

and then at the end of this year they’ll really really leave, for reals?

5 Likes
1 Like

depends.

What is the transition period?

The transition period is a time-limited period, starting on 1 February 2020…[and] ends on 31 December 2020. It can be extended once by up to one to two years. Such a decision must be taken jointly by the EU and United Kingdom before 1 July 2020.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Celebrate Brexit with the Conservative’s “Brexit Collection”:

2 Likes

From the article:

All three countries are forbidden by their own constitutions to extradite their own citizens to non-EU countries, which the UK will became on Thursday, and each country would likely to have to change its constitution in order to close the potential loophole.

Can anyone explain to me why the article keeps referring to constitutional protections as “a loophole”?

The law has provisions for prosecuting people who cannot be extradited for various reasons.
Also, why should we change our constitution to allow extraditing our own people to a country that has recently been accused of conducting a “modern witch trial” by the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture?

2 Likes

Ah ha, but then they’ll be ready to negotiate with us!!

Or the UK will threaten to walk away again and…

No, I don’t understand that tactic either.

1 Like

Wow, WTF?

11 Likes

Which actually might be true. More likely by cargo planes, though.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/31/

2 Likes

What my favorite English director had to say on Brexit:

“Cut to Brexit,” he continues. “Some boneheads might say; ‘Hang on a minute, we’ve got the vote now and 52 per cent [voted to leave the EU]…’. But what role did the truth play in people’s decision to vote Brexit? And to what extent has real truthfulness motivated what’s gone on since, politically? I go to Cornwall quite a lot, and there were huge signs saying ‘vote leave’, and I talked to intelligent, working people [who were] saying: ‘No, we’ve got to get out of Europe.’ And then you get out of the train at Liskeard and there’s a thing on the wall saying: ‘The European Union funded the restoration of this.’ The farmers down there get massive handouts from the EU. So that’s what we’re talking about when we talk about truth.”

source: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/mike-leigh-interview-peterloo-brexit-working-class-politics-trade-unions-protest-a8608296.html

4 Likes

Looks like the UK will withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights

Sure, removing my right to privacy, to choice of religion, to not being tortured into confession by the police - that’s why we did Brexit

9 Likes

Oh wow, mine too! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I think he’s one of the very few ‘well-known’ directors out there who tackle politics and societal issues head-on in his films… and he fuses them so skillfully into his ‘people’ stories which – this very manly man admits (from personal experience) – can make you weep like your great-aunt Zelda. And his gift for working with his actors is second to none. Period. If it wasn’t for him, I don’t think I would have known of the incredibly talented Sally Hawkins – my favorite actress, whatever the country of origin.

2 Likes