Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

You’re right. They’re not all pensioners. Half of them are almost/wannabe pensioners.

15 Likes

Do you think that will happen before the UK has their “rejoin the EU” referendum?

1 Like

Oh, believe me, I know. I grew up in the Cleveland, Ohio Orthodox community, and those forces that you mentioned were very much present–alot of Dubya voters, for example, back when I still lived there, because he was “pro-Israel”, despite the evident facts for the reasons behind his support being appeals to the Revelations block.

As for social regressiveness… I’ll put it this way: at the school I attended, they were so prudish that I didn’t even know what homosexuality was. It wasn’t even mentioned. Which worked out fine for me–I had zero preconceptions to overcome, but I really have to wonder what kind of effect that might have had on my statistically three gay classmates.

But, yes, I have to wonder at the degree of compartmentalized thinking of a group of people that can proclaim that assimilation is the biggest threat facing our people and actively work towards shutting themselves off from secular society, while at the same time working hand-in-glove with Evangelical Christians on a political level.

Of course, I made the mistake of asking about that and other points of dogma, and, well, there’s a reason I’m not part of that community anymore. :neutral_face:

4 Likes

Welcome to 21st century democracy.

Personally, I’ve kind of reversed my decision on if the “internet is a force for good or evil.” I used to think good, but now I just see it as a tool, and all tools these days will be used for evil. In the ever-hastening post-literate world culture that we’re living in everything is reduced to a reaction, and no thought requiring more than 140 characters can be expressed.

So, you may think that the old folks screwed the pooch on this one. But don’t worry – the young ones can screw up next time!

Tx; I’m good on the grandfather thing.

One said: “I personally voted leave believing these lies and I regret it more than anything, I feel genuinely robbed of my vote.”

Oh goodness. “Robbed”?

I’d love it if there was some polling on this, though. With nearly 1.3 million voting to leave it’s almost hard to believe that you couldn’t find 5 who regretted it.

Such as the UK in it’s recent Brexit vote? I get issues of scale, but I don’t like people pretending that no one died in this campaign.

10 Likes
19 Likes

The religious Right have more in common than they do with the left wing of their own religions. Forget the ideologies: it’s the right-wingness that matters. When you see someone dressed in black, wearing a funny hat, possibly a funny beard, and telling women that he knows what’s best for them, whether they’re Islamist, Hassidic, Russian Orthodox or Bible Belt makes little practical difference.
And the sound of tills ringing is the same for all of them.

6 Likes

I am utterly baffled that a decision of this magnitude was decided by a simple majority. When the vote is split nearly 50-50 you’d think it might be a sign that this isn’t a good way to decide.

10 Likes

It’s the older generations that have seen the EU change beyond recognition and are wise to its advances. One could just as easily argue that the elders have wisdom on their side and the youth have naivete.
@anon50609448
Jo Cox’s murder was indeed a sad, tragic and senseless act by a deranged individual. We all wish her family, especially her children, all the support we can.

One could just as easily argue that the elders have dementia on their side and the youth have correctly functioning brains.

16 Likes

Oh wow, I thought you were joking.

That’s better than the old rumor about Bob Avakian living/hiding on Hubbard’s yacht, and at least up there with the true story of Jim Bakker and Lyndon LaRouche being cellmates.

2 Likes

Which changes would those be?

3 Likes

It’s certainly not all of them, just most:

We’ll quote you on that in a week or two.

11 Likes

Now, now. To paraphrase Mill, it’s not that most Brexiters are reactionary fuckwits. It’s that most reactionary fuckwits are Brexiters.

10 Likes

As a fifth generation Californian and having grown up in both the Silicon Valley and LA, I can’t imagine splitting the state up. The very idea of splitting it up offends me. We’d be a much stronger country together than apart - LA area has oil & movies & shipping, San Diego has military, Central Valley has food, Bay Area has industry & shipping, Napa/Sonoma has wine, Central Coast has more wine, North Coast has weed, Sierras have snow sports and national parks and camping and outdoorsy stuff.

It would be lame to have a country where everyone was the same.

7 Likes

But which sane party is going to use the Whips to vote to leave?

1 Like

This is more than worth the click: How the older generation screwed the youngsters - and who will have to live with the consequences.

2 Likes

You argue your opinion and I’ll argue mine, although I’m sure the truth is an equal mix of both.
@KarlS
The changes are from a free trade area to a monetary and political union.
@nemomen
Ashcroft polls are often notoriously inaccurate, so let’s not resort to lazy stereotypes please, it’s unhelpful and divisive.

Please do.

Unfortunately I’ve been keeping stupid hours of late, so must sign off. I’ll be back at the keyboard in about 24 hours. Let’s try and keep it civil and not resort to insults though. I know people often get angry and reactive, myself included, but the die is cast and I believe Britain has the strength, economic clout and intelligence to make a success of any situation it finds itself in.
Peace.

https://twitter.com/RichStanton/status/746382368919924736

5 Likes