Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

The long-threatened coup attempt against Jeremy Corbyn has begun. I reported several weeks ago that Brexit would be “the trigger” for a leadership challenge and Corbyn’s opponents have immediately taken action. Margaret Hodge and Ann Coffey have submitted a motion of no confidence in the Labour leader for discussion at Monday’s PLP meeting. If accepted, it will be followed by a secret ballot of MPs on Tuesday.

He’s toast.

1 Like

Welp, if Trump wins the election I will just pack my bags and move over to Brit…

(nevermind)

11 Likes
13 Likes

Can I ask where abouts you are? ETA were you the one offering to do an AMA in the lounge?

I should ask my Jewish acquaintances if they have had similar questions ever. The only direct interaction I have seen with Jews and more Fundamentalists was when I was a member of a home school Co-op I took my kid to once a week. One lady joined who was a Jewish convert, and black, so I had some interesting conversations, but everyone seemed cool with her. I kept bringing rocks and fossils in for some of the kids to see, and I know some of them disagreed with my 60 million year old estimates on some of the stuff. But, you know, it was a pretty non-confrontational environment so even if they disagreed with me, no one pressed it.

If I were one of the two million Brit expats who live on the Continent, I think I’d be needing a diaper about now. Especially if I owned property there.

4 Likes

Um. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/24/the-british-are-frantically-googling-what-the-eu-is-hours-after-voting-to-leave-it/

12 Likes

Sorry if this is already here somewhere. There are so many Brexit threads:

From the article:

At about 1 a.m. Eastern time, about eight hours after the polls closed, Google reported that searches for “what happens if we leave the EU” had more than tripled.

ETA:

Wow did I get scooped.

10 Likes

Jinx! (youowemeacokebecauseineed6characters)

Great minds and all that :wink:

5 Likes

As an aside, I think that “Brexit” is a daft word for something that didn’t need one. It always reminds me of Ready Brek, so every single time I see the word I think of cereal.

2 Likes

It honestly took me until this morning to realize it was a portmanteau of “Britain Exit”.

1 Like

I don’t blame you; the only reason that I got it quickly was because they did the same portmanteau for Grexit, and that one did take me a while to get.

1 Like

Upstate NY, these days.

And, yes, although that thread was for questions about general Judaism, not me in particular, because there’s a great deal of misconceptions out there about us.

Apparently it took a substantial number of British voters by surprise, too:

1 Like

That’s a more complicated thing than just NI leaving, and more complicated that people tend to assume. It doesn’t just come down to NI voting to leave the UK and boom reunited Ireland. The Republic has to also vote to/want to re-unite. And traditionally they really haven’t. NI has been seen by many in the Republic as a potential economic drag on Ireland’s potentially fragile economic boom for decades. And politically its kind of weird. A fair bit of the Northern Irish Republican/Independence movement is based in an ideology that doesn’t just want independence, or reunification. Its sees the government of The Republic of Ireland as an invalid/illegal/occupational one. It views Sinn Féin and your various modern IRA groups as the legitimate government and seeks to replace the Irish government with one built out of those structures. Now I don’t think the vast majority of pro-independence Northern Irish buy that. But its a central thing to all that sectarian shit, and a huge basis for animosity between North and South. So integration is potentially really messy, and the IRA don’t simply go away if independence or reunification happen. Additionally there are (and always have been) big cultural differences between the two. There was a distinction between the North and the South going pretty far back. And even when Irish independence was first being set up the North actually voted to stay. Consequently there are resentments there, as well as differences in terms of political outlook. Admitting the North to the Republic potentially shifts the dynamic in certain major debates in Irish politics. And could potentially shift the disposition of the government and electorate left or right (depending on who’s making the claim).

So there are pretty good, complicated reasons to be resistant to it. Though from what I’ve seen everyone wantst the territory back. Eventually.

BUT Northern Ireland is doing a lot better than it was. The Republican and Unionist asshole terror groups are less vocal, less influential, and less violent then they have been, and the economy has been better and more stable (and the EU is a big part of that). And the Republic hasn’t been doing as well as it was (2008 saw to that). And there’s been a lot closer relationship between the two for decades. A lot more trade, a lot more movement across the border, a lot more cooperation on things that effect both, a lot more acting sort of like a unit (and that’s almost entirely down to the EU). The evaporation of that EU free border between the two, and a NI on a massive economic down swing, with one more major political issue thrown into its volatile politics is kind of just as scary for the South as it is for the North. The results of their Brexit vote indicate its entirely likely they could practically pull of an Independence vote if it comes to that (and remember NI has repeatedly voted to stay in the UK, Independence has generally been a minority position). And the Republic of Ireland is likely to be a hell of a lot more amenable to re-unification with them as of right now than they ever have been.

I’ve only heard fear of the economic damage and griping about the idiocy of the Brexit out of my family in the Republic so far. No reactions on the ideas of Northern independence or reunification. So that’s at best a guess of what would happen if its legitimately broached. I’d say its more plausible now than I ever expected it to be in my lifetime. And its certainly a more sensible idea than I ever thought it would be. I think its pretty certain that Scotland is gone, and if Scotland leaves NI sort of has to try. It’d be politically damaging if they didn’t. So I’ll probably start paying closer attention to the Irish media than I usually do.

4 Likes

Or as someone imagined the proprietor singing in the 1920s:

My papers sell most copies
Because they print most lies.

3 Likes

It’s actually a portmanteau of “brain exit.” Stage left, pursued by a bear.

12 Likes
13 Likes

My dad used to live up there, IIRC. Said it was really pretty. I didn’t know you made the thread, I will have to look for it later.

And now this: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/i-really-regret-my-vote-now-the-brexit-voters-who-wish-theyd-voted-to-remain-a3280361.html

1 Like

@bibliophile20

There’s actually a really, really weird confluence between the two at the political level. The Religious Right includes a sizable highly Orthodox Jewish block. Who directly work with, cooperate with, and interact with the very same groups that buy into the apocalyptic ideas that lead to Jewish as 2nd coming fuel. Its always struck me as really, really strange. The Revelations crowd are often openly and loudly anti-semetic. But your highly conservative (small c, as it politically), highly Orthodox, pro-Israel/Zionist element openly bolsters them. Mostly for the Israel support, but also occasionally over issues like gay marriage. There’s this weird feed loop with conservative politicians, Orthodox Jewish bodies, and Evangelical preachers whipping themselves into a furor over the idea of an Israeli religious state. But all for reasons that are at least a bit contradictory.

And it even feeds a lot of money. There’s apparently a huge tourist business in getting Evangelicals to travel to Israel. To convert Jews. Convince Jews to build the temple (including Christian churches raising money to build it now). See the Christian sites. Prove various things about conspiracy theories. And a whole bunch of other nonsense. With a surprising lot of it run or prompted by the same Religious Right groups that get all weird over hear. Christian Group A books their weird ass trip through/with Orthodox Group A. Business controlled by the same elements make a ton of money.

Its god damned bonkers.

4 Likes