Brexit wins: Britain votes to exit the European Union

What I think we are seeing all over the developed world is a renascence of the desire for national sovereignty.

There seems to be a growing sense that transnational institutions, both political and financial, are acting purely in their own self interest and not in the interests of those who are called upon to support and maintain them.

The left can either find common cause with this trend based upon reducing the power of international banks and other financial manipulators, or it can simply dismiss all nationalist thought as simple bigotry and hope to shame it into extinction. I would not bet on the latter being a successful strategy.

8 Likes

A[quote=“the_borderer, post:531, topic:80366, full:true”]
That’s it. I want out of the UK NOW!

How does the Oxford Council Republic sound?
[/quote]

I say "go for it!"
Maybe Oxford could vote to become part of Scotland?

2 Likes

I don’t disagree that nationalism and distrust of globalism are contributing factors. It’s just that what they were saying and doing had one central tenet: kick out the filthy immigrants destroying our country. Certainly there were things in play besides racism and xenophobia, but there was also a massive amount of racism and xenophobia, esp. from UKIP, but also from the Tories that you really should acknowledge as a key factor. “We want our country back,” wasn’t just about getting back some imagined lost control from the EU (which was merely confused stupidity), but also getting the country back back from the foreign invaders. The words of both leaders and supporters made plain what they were talking about, even if the Tories backing Brexit put a fig leaf over their racism and xenophobia.

Obviously the Remain people’s rhetoric and tactics didn’t work, and those who supported Remain sometimes harping on the overt racism and xenophobia the Brexiters were running on clearly wasn’t sufficient to persuade angry voters, made all the more angry by vast amounts of dishonest propaganda about immigrants, the EU, probable outcomes, fictional benefits, fictional costs, and the rest. But the Remain campaign wasn’t primarily “you guys are racist xenophobes,” but “this is a shockingly bad idea,” and I’m not sure why you’re mischaracterizing it. If anything their worst problem was that they were too wonky to succeed.

I don’t know what tactics would work when you’re facing an organized and well funded movement of shockingly dishonest actors fanning the flames of anger, racism, xenophobia, and anti-intellectualism while flagrantly lying. Whatever that is, the Remain people didn’t address it well enough. Trump’s playing the same cards in the US, though there aren’t enough “missing white voters” for it to ever succeed, he hasn’t got the funding to run an election, isn’t taking it very seriously, so the Dems. have a very different electoral race, ground game, and demographics to work with.

8 Likes

Cornwall is another place that is now crying out for a continuation to its subsidies after solidly supporting the Leave Campaign. It is almost as though people didn’t realise what they were voting for :wink:

4 Likes

“You people shut up about racism” is a perennially popular meme.

4 Likes

I’m seriously considering running for parliament, possibly on the policies of

1. A referendum on independence from the UK. Any area that votes out is out, they can’t be stopped because their city/county/country voted to stay in.
  2. Another referendum on membership in the EU (only for those areas that vote for independence). The same rules as the UK independence referendum.

Also there is the possibility of introducing more direct democracy.

I personally want the whole of Britain to be a left leaning confederacy, but I don’t want to force that on people and I don’t think it is a good idea to have that as a policy at this point.

It’s still early days, on Thursday afternoon I wasn’t even considering the idea of running as any kind of candidate.

10 Likes

Well, I am impressed that recent events make you want to get into politics rather than run away and take a long shower.

I suppose there is hope.

8 Likes

10 Likes

OMFG!

21 Likes

I’m assuming that’s a parody account?

7 Likes

I hope not.

7 Likes

Yes, a parody account, though still majestic.

7 Likes

The language gives it away. Brenda would be “asking for one’s friend”.

10 Likes

Yes. Real Twitter accounts for famous people get a little blue check mark next to the name to “prove” they’re real. It’s pretty hard (but not impossible) to get it for a fake account. And I think that Her Majesty would more properly be known as Elizabeth II Regina anyway. (Any Royals followers correct me? I’m not a Brit, though royalty fascinates me.)

Doesn’t make it any less funny though. There’s some good stuff there!

1 Like

You mean the Kansas City sportsball team or the pop song?

4 Likes

I’ve heard she was pretty good at shortstop, back in the day!

2 Likes

She has been known to tweet. Personally, I think she just spends her time anonymously driving trollies Andrew Marr.

4 Likes

This is scary, for sure. Not really. Have you checked the real world power lately?

A few interesting stats on voter turnout by age group.

They don’t have to join the EU - they just have to not leave it. If the referendum question is phrased in such a way that it is a vote to stay in the EU and as a consequence that would mean leaning the UK then it could work. Not sure if there are any plans in the EU structure for that course of action. I see no reason why they would have to leave first and then re-join. The EU would have something to say about such a plan but it may well approve.