Brianna Wu pwns a misogynist troll

I understand the concern. I also think in a time when all of the pollsters and pundits can go on merrily talking about Clinton being a sure thing, and then backpedal like mad when all of their stats are off, that I have to take Trump’s true “influence” with a grain of salt.

I could be just as wrong as the rest of course, and I don’t want to see a Trump presidency.

6 Likes

Well, yeah, it’s worse than the red scare, cause that just hurt commies and teh gays! This is about STRAIGHT WHITE MEN NOT GETTING TO ACT LIKE BABBIES WHEN LADIES HAVE TECH JOBS AND WRITE VIDEO GAME CRITICISM!!! /s

13 Likes

He’s pushed the discourse in America, that’s for sure.

In a way I’m very glad he’s torn the fabric of the republican veil of “respectability”

1 Like

I think my posts are worth reading!

I feel like there ought to be something I can say about red scare. But I guess is someone just doesn’t understand what adversity is then you can’t explain it.

6 Likes

The tweeter is an idiot for trying to criticize Wu in such a childish manner.

Having said that, Wu deliberately misinterprets their comment in order to get back at them. They aren’t saying Wu’s game could run on a PS1. They’re saying the game looks worse than many PS1 titles. I can’t really disagree with that. Wu coming out and making the technical case actually backfires as we see that even with all that extra programming power she has still managed to produce something that looks worse than many 20 year old titles. Really, that comment is one Wu should have let go through to the wicket keeper. No need to play it.

Look, I mean, graphics are certainly not the be all and end all for a title. But most reviews of the game have been tepid to negative. The fact that the many people find the visual style unappealing didn’t exactly help, especially given the characters look like bland automatons you might find padding out a shop window.
Wu and her fellow creators brought up the kinds of games like No One Lives forever, Mass Effect and Heavy Rain as influences and kept talking this up in interviews. Revoloution60 isn’t even fit to be mentioned in the same breath as those titles and I can’t help but feel this was a desperate marketing ploy to drum up interest.

I’d love to be able to jump on the ‘oh, they’re only a small dev team’ bandwagon but I am beholden to the memory of small dev teams throughout the entire decades-long history of gaming. Teams producing vital work of a quality that rivaled the titles from larger studios.Titles that were released on time, within budget and across multiple formats.

So. great as it is to see new people in the medium it is ultimately the quality of their work and the ability to efficiently get that work to market that they should be judged by. I’ve watched the development of Revoloution60 with interest from the beginning. And I’m afraid that in both respects I find Wu and her team to be borderline competent, which just doesn’t cut it, especially when you consider the amount of amazingly talented indie devs out there who actually have their act together.

You really should have just left it at that…

6 Likes

The tweeter said two things: game looks like shit, and Wu is not a real game dev. Her response may not have been appropriate to “game looks like shit” but it is entirely appropriate to “not a real game dev”. You just weren’t reading which part of the tweet was the real insult.

5 Likes

But wasn’t the trolley just out to get Wu riled up? Are you bothered that she didn’t play his game?
Aren’t apologists now offended that she didn’t take the bait?
Isn’t it obvious she trolled him right back?

6 Likes

[quote=“tachin1, post:140, topic:73665”]
But wasn’t the troll just out to get Wu riled up?
[/quote] Yup and I expect that was obvious to Wu from the get go. Yet her response is proof that she did get ‘riled up’ She chose to engage with the troll in an equally petty and disingenuous manner. To me that’s still playing a game, one that is not very productive for the wider discourse around the medium. I don’t think Wu’s response is something that should be held up and celebrated.

Nah, not when I see people holding someone up as an example of heroic behavior when they are actually lowering themselves to the level of their aggressor. And I think we have enough data on Wu to suggest that she was already at that level anyway.

Banning people on twitter willy nilly merely for disagreeing with her or, in some cases simply for asking a question. And heaven forbid you ask how you can help or aid the cause of women in games if you meet her in public. A poor audience member found this out when, during one of her lectures he (correctly) pointed out that Wu had successfully identified the blockages and pressures that keep women from being successful in the industry. But he wanted to know what the next step was i.e. what can we actually do about this. At which point Wu goes batshit crazy and yells “ARE YOU OBJECTING TO MY TONE SIR?” In response, to his eternal credit, the gentleman explains that no, he wasn’t tone policing. He thanked Wu for making him aware of his privileges and pointed out that he was wondering what he could DO with his privileges to help change the system to make it more equitable for women. He salvaged a chance at the kind of discourse that Wu regularly pisses away in fits of pique. Her default setting is attack. She can’t even face the kind of hard but fair questioning David Pakman regularly dolls out to his other guests (including pro GG guests that he has given an equal grilling) without throwing a hissy fit and accusing him of doing a hit piece. This is not someone to aspire to be like.

So I would love to be able to just view this incident in isolation as a right-on, feelgood takedown of a troll. But my knowledge of Wu’s negative impact on the wider discourse in gaming prevents me from doing so.

1 Like

8 Likes

Yeah it’s a good way of revealing that she has the technical knowhow to be a game dev but it also kind of damns her game in the process. Even with the extra tech at her disposal it still looks worse than a PS1 era game.

Now that’s better :slightly_smiling:

So he wanted to make it about himself?

Sea lioning?
http://wondermark.com/1k62/

Doesn´t look like that from here. The reaction to her response shows how badly the trollies felt the burn.

("Please tell me again how you are always right is for the trollies of course)

No, we don’t have enough data to suggest that. Not at all. were did you get that idea?
You come off as having an axe to grind with her and concern driving trollies isn’t much of an argument really.
Fine, you disagree with her, whatevs, no need to be a jackass about it.

Again, we disagree. I not only remain unconvinced by your argument, I find it biast. (Which I don’t think is necessarily a bad thing, its just a thing to keep an eye out when trying to understand someone’s subjective opinion)

5 Likes

FWIW the chap was speaking during the Q&A section of her talk and put his hand up to ask the question. He did seem to be (to my eyes at least) trying to honestly engage with the topic at hand that Wu raised. He recognized that he had some power and was asking how to use it for good.

I’m thankful for the links you have included and the time you have taken to reply. I am, however, well aware of my negative bias towards Wu. I guess it wasn’t so much the action as the person performing it that inhibits my ability to celebrate it. As for [quote=“tachin1, post:146, topic:73665”]
we don’t have enough data to suggest that. Not at all. were did you get that idea?
[/quote]

I can only point to pretty much all of Wu’s interactions in the public sphere, from her bizarre response to the Pakman interview to her cosy chat with the Daily Mirror where she endorses censorship and moral relativism.

But in this instance I will concede that she has done that troll like a kipper.

I disagreee!!!111!11one!!!

8 Likes

Not you, or you would have responded further in this tread.

/s

1 Like

Time for quiet. Quiet is good.

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.