Bride marries herself in lonesome wedding

Really don’t like the judgy tone of this post or the comments. What’s “lonesome” and “loveless” about loving yourself and celebrating singleness with 70 of your friends? Sounds like a fun party to me.

17 Likes

And we wonder why she’s single… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That sounds like it should be a lot more fun than it apparently is.

1 Like

That’s a thoughtful reply, thanks. Welcome to Boing Boing - or at least welcome to the comments section, if you’re not new to the site as a whole.

10 Likes

This would have almost made sense if she had a split personality and…

The newb does have a point; the snide tone of the article itself is pretty fucked up.

Being ‘alone forever’ is something I’d only wish on 45.

I couldn’t care less about the choices of the woman in question; it’s her time and money to waste.

18 Likes

Well, the OP does say that it is a “marriage ceremony”!

3 Likes

Really? I expected you to lead with something like:

“This is only weird when you don’t take into account that not everyone has a single consciousness”.

5 Likes

No bones being made about it: 45’s biographers do paint him as a life long loner. Really his family is his only real friends.

2 Likes

I’d marry a shoe, but I can’t save up enough money for the ceremony + reception. You know why?

The US legal system, for instance, is explicit in its commitment to many forms of non-discrimination. But in federal statutes, there are more than 1,000 laws that protect or benefit only those persons who are legally married. All unmarried people, even those who do not identify as single, are excluded. That injustice motivated many of the advocates for same-sex marriage. The question they pose is compelling: Why should only a certain kind of couple have access to basic benefits and protections? However, that question is just one small step to an equally reasonable but more expansive question: Why should adults have to be any kind of couple at all in order to benefit and be protected under the law?

(Yes, I realize the BoingBoing post is about a woman in Italy.)

9 Likes

They don’t even count in my book; if he wasn’t rich I doubt they’d be willing to deal with him, regardless that they are related…

7 Likes
4 Likes

Or happiness either; because he surely seems like a miserable shit.

5 Likes

Conversely, what’s the point of making a big public display of commitment toward the one person in the universe who you literally cannot get away from?

7 Likes

Although y’only need to delete the narcissism and get to the standard.

1 Like

Some of us are single because we choose to be. It may not be right for you, but please stop equating the state of being single with somehow being unfortunate or less fortunate. For many of us, it is anything but that.

16 Likes
3 Likes

Indeed, some of the best times in my life have been single and solitary.

And some of the worst have been in relationships.

3 Likes