Brilliant pet adoption posters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/09/brilliant-pet-adoption-posters.html

11 Likes

Well worth the extra glance.

hqdefault

12 Likes

Amazing - the attention to detail!

3 Likes

Artistically speaking, these posters are abominable and will probably actually put people off. They look like posters for horror or science fiction movies. From a distance, or if seen in a glance, the shading caused by the light variations in the images of the humans makes the “animals” have wavy, nebulous, insubstantial borders that look kind of like auras or some kind of dimensional portal. They look like they’re kind of fading in or out of this world. These look like the kind of things you’d use to represent a spirit animal, not a real one. It would have been much better to do these using simple flats, producing real negative space, not these not-quite-one-or-the-other looking images.

2 Likes

Likely intentional, many shelters euthanize animals that are not adopted.

1 Like

Interesting. I really like them and thought that the whole “spirit of the family” thing was the vibe they were going for. I find it visually interesting and like the idea of the animal visually “completing” the family portrait as well as the dramatic contrast. Seen lots of cute pics of pets, never seen this. Then again, people find a lot of things weird or even spooky and I’m pretty sure whatever they’re responding to has a different effect on me. TBH if it catches anyone’s eye at all then it’s done it’s job though.

7 Likes

Considering we’re seeing them at a greatly reduced scale, compressed into .JPGs, and not as full-resolution printed posters, I’m not sure we’re getting the best representation of them as art pieces here.

That’s some James Bond intro shit right there.

5 Likes

IKR!

nature-animal-bodypainting-chameleon-johannes-stoetter-2

2 Likes

Abominable? Wow, it’s almost like art is subjective and open to interpretation. I bet you’re one of those people who gets wigged out by “the uncanny valley”, whatever that is.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.