Brilliant shot of drone swooping through campus

Originally published at: Brilliant shot of drone swooping through campus | Boing Boing

6 Likes

What drone, what set up, where was the pilot in relation to the drone, how did they not lose the connection?

So many questions.

I get nervous sending my DJI up and no way will I let it out of sight. Not afraid to lose it but afraid to hit something or for it to drop out of the sky and land on someone.

Great video and flying skills.

7 Likes

Impressive control skills. I’d crash within a minute at the outside.

I’m assuming the sound was laid down in post. There’s no way you could get that quality with natsot.

5 Likes

My drone videos would all be in a single take too — because I lack editing and directing skills. :laughing:

3 Likes

As a dilettante sound engineer myself, I was wondering about that too! Especially the occasional swooshy noises flying past monitors and desks - those were the only things that stood out to me as more obviously Foley, but what else?

No wind noise though? And the voices, ADR? I can’t imagine on-board mics getting that level of clarity, but I haven’t done any sound work at all with drones, so I have no real idea.

6 Likes

The making of:

11 Likes

I would assume they recorded each vocal segment locally. People’s voices come into focus too suddenly otherwise. You can record video on the fly like that, sound not so much.

5 Likes

Ubiquitous campus wifi and audio added in post. Can I get a whoop whoop!

3 Likes

Quite astounding. I have so many questions about how this was made; the main one is how absolutely no one in the video seemed to react to having a drone swoop right by them.

2 Likes

That is absolutely amazing skill, esp. the dizzying stairs scene (and pilot being moved in elevator). I’m surprised how little tech is involved, with pilot powering through with pure concentration.

2 Likes

I’m feeling a little airsick, but what a great video. I kept waiting for the drone to pause at a mirror to take a selfie.

6 Likes

Very impressive.

2 Likes

They’d been briefed and it had been rehearsed?

1 Like

This one is more impressive to me:

5 Likes

If anything, I’m impressed by the teacher-student or student-campus ratio. I wish it were like that when I attended university.

ETA: /s

8 Likes

I’m guessing those were all actors. There has to be some liability issues when flying a drone that close to people. I’m sure it was all pre planned and people were placed precisely.

2 Likes

Perhaps the sounds (and dialogue?) were added in post-production. It’s clear that everything was carefully set up, maybe with the campus ‘players’ communicating in real-time with the drone team. ("Get busy! Drone in 5 seconds.) Kudos to the drone operator and the producers.

Belated whoop whoop! Should have read your post first.

4 Likes

Cool! Have they got a blooper reel?

“I cast… ARCANE EYE!”

1 Like

Oooh, thank you!

I guess that the lift doesn’t act as a Faraday Cage.

Flight Attempt #8 Well that answers my question; now, where is the blooper reel.

@geeWizz That bit where the drone loops through the girders on the bridge was pretty darn impressive; almost as impressive as the train :astonished::astonished::astonished:

1 Like

My concentration was Film & Media Studies. I guess I should’ve put an /s up there.

1 Like