Bringing DNA testing to the Loch Ness Monster mystery

Pike don’t get that big. Not by half, or a quarter.

Spot on with the surgeon though. I would bet the sightings are a mix of animals these days with anything weird attributed to Nessie.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a sturgeon up close, I have no doubts that someone might think it’s some kind of prehistoric sea monster (which isn’t far off). Those things can get fricken’ huge. And it’s exactly the kind of thing some idiot might “stock” somewhere like Loch Ness in the hopes of some epic sports fishing.

It fits with a lot of the descriptions, too, especially the snake-like body. A sturgeon surfacing and diving again could really convince someone (especially if that someone weren’t entirely sober, like a large portion of lake goers and Nessie reporters) they’d seen something like the famous monster, especially if they are primed to interpret whay they’re seeing through a very specific lense.

1 Like

are there any ducks on Loch Ness? Yes? Maybe it eats ducks No? Maybe it eats ducks. And Leaves.

3 Likes

And so have (most) cryptozoologists, for a simple reason of biophysics: the turbid waters of Loch Ness doesn’t allow for enough photosynthesis to sustain a food chain involving large animals.

Or small animals similarly magnified by fata morgana over the lakes’ water surfaces.

2 Likes

Great post/avatar synergy!

2 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

There is much debate in the natural world.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.