Large fish photographed in Loch Ness

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/24/large-fish-photographed-in-loc.html

7 Likes

Sturgeon, methinks.

13 Likes

26 Likes

Didn’t she look slightly different?

ETA: also, I think she’s busy fending off stuff from Nr.10, like maintaining the 2 m distance rule.

6 Likes

Obviously fake.

The real Nessie’s annual appearances have been delayed this year, because of COVID-19 disruption to the tourism sector. Mysterious cryptid sightings will resume once international travel has resumed and all those tourism Euros are needed.

11 Likes

Sure, it’s no cryptid, but it would still be quite weird if there was a seal in Loch Ness!

ETA: I ignorantly assumed that Loch Ness is landlocked, but it’s not. Seals can very easily go into it. I assume that Nessie could very easily go out of it too.

8 Likes

Nah. No plates on the body. For comparison:

It sure looks photoshopped. Assuming it isn’t, it’s more likely to be a seal than a fish. No fins.

10 Likes

wow that looks really huge!!! or small? can’t tell.

2 Likes

Odd how all these types of “cryptid” photos never have any other objects in view for scale.

9 Likes

Looks like a seal that got a bit lost to me. There seems to be plenty of precedent for seals in Loch Ness and even less accessible freshwater lochs, e.g. http://lochnessinvestigation.com/SILN.html

6 Likes

Looks like a fake anyway

1 Like

Nessie has been in hiding ever since his secret identity as Jack the Ripper was discovered

6 Likes

Henry Silva: one of God’s more perfect creations

1 Like

Seal. They sometimes make excursions into Loch Ness.

6 Likes

Can’t be Nessie, the photo isn’t blurry enough.

14 Likes

The guy claims that there were many other people around, but nobody bothered to take video? In 2020?

3 Likes

OK, look. . . for centuries people have been hypothesizing what “the monster” could be, and there’s this myth that it’s actually a monster monster, like a giant sea dragon or something.

It was always possible (i.e. probable) that it wasn’t a “monster”, it was a something more mundane like a large fish or a seal (my favorite was some kind of large slug that lived under the muck at the bottom.)

That said, I work from the assumption that any photo of Nessie is a fake at this point.

1 Like

Best Nessie video ever:

5 Likes

The other photos in the original article show foreground objects (trees, etc.) that indicate that the thing the photographer has plainly photoshopped into the image would, if it were actually there, be pretty big.

2 Likes

The mottled skin makes it likely to be a seal. Depending on the season, it could also be a kelt, a salmon that’s headed downstream after spawning (Atlantic salmon can survive spawning, unlike their Pacific cousins).

3 Likes