Britain offers citizenship to 3 million Hong Kong residents after China crackdown

I seem to remember that the UK took away some rights (to live in Britain) that colonial subjects previously were promised.

2 Likes

Yes.

And I know things aren’t as dire as Hong Kong but some of these British Colonies from the 1840’s you mention would do well to become autonomous and democratic.

I can see the NZ Parliament from here.
Their head of state is on the other side of the world and you can’t play political theatre in that building without swearing an oath to the Queen, her heirs and her successors - not to the locals they often claim to represent.

1 Like

And their dependants - that’s why it potentially covers 3m Hong Kongers.

1 Like

dunno if you are Canadian if so ignore my phrasing etc, but I can see this being a big problem among most of our right wingers because they are currently on a anti Chinese bender over two of our citizens being held in jail on trumped up charges due to Huewuei situation and the whole SarsCov2 thing. the fact that people coming in would love to swear a loyalty oath to Canada instead of their homeland not withstanding.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.