Britain warns LGBT travelers about visiting North Carolina, Mississippi

Thanks, I will have to look later.

I too think contact theory has a LOT of merit. You can’t hope to convince people that these “bad” people are OK until you get some exposure and see that they are more or less like you.

2 Likes

IMO, the South is in the final stages of losing the Civil War, which gives this a slightly better perspective.

6 Likes

For the most part, Research Triangle isn’t that great either. :sweat: *trying to escape* Thin veneer of tolerance between 8 to 5 and from 5 on it’s nearly as bad as anywhere else in the state.

Asheville is nice though.

6 Likes

Oh no, it’s not great. It’s just in comparison to the rest of the state. Low bar and all that …

4 Likes

I hate to diss on the state, but I highly doubt anyone want to go to Mississippi since it was the Worst State of the nation.

3 Likes

I know someone working on a project about the research triangle. maybe one day, it will be a book.

Thirded. One thing I haven’t done there is go to the Moog factory, which you can tour. Next trip there, I think.

5 Likes

I’ve driven through there to get to NOLA, but rarely have I spent any time there.

2 Likes

The Outer Banks is one of my favourite places in the world, and I’ve had some fun skiing in the Appalachians, back when I had better knees; but for large chunks of NC, I take your point. Years ago, on my way from Washington down I95, I got into conversation with some guy at the motel breakfast.

“Greensboro? Got family there?”

I allowed that I did, and asked how he knew.

“Only two reasons anyone would go to Greensboro, and y’all don’t look like you’re going to a business meeting.”

3 Likes

It sad that Politico now listed Louisiana #51 in the current list of best States of America.

But what I don’t get is why anyone is shocked that Mississippi passed a Anti-LGBT Law, a Pro-Gun Law and made this month Confederate Heritage Month. Just take a look at their flag for goodness sake:

7 Likes

Exactly. They have a long history of these sorts of things. It’s sad for the people who live there, especially the ones who don’t vote for their terrible government. Economically, there isn’t much going on and there is little for people to hang onto. Passing discriminatory laws is only making it worse for them.

4 Likes

My wife’s sister works in medical research there (and she’s a Californian) so, yeah, normal people live there.

1 Like

I was down in NC last June to visit some family and start the process of selling some property I inherited. As a built in sanity break, I visited some friends over in Pittsboro (so the very edge of the RTP, possibly just over the outside of it.) I already knew the friends were cool, of course, and suggested we meet at a coffee shop in Pittsboro that I’ve been wanted to visit, Davenport’s Cafe Diem.

As it turns out, one of my friends has spent a lot of time there writing, so they readily agreed. When I arrived, I was so happy to see the place was property steampunked, the barista had piercings and a mohawk (not to mention a great utilikilt) and the owner also had purple hair and piercings. “Oh thank Gods,” I cried. “My people!”

That visit with my friends, and meeting the people at the coffee shop, really helped me get through a week of family and legal dealings. I’m also going to make sure to stop in there again the next time I’m down there.

5 Likes

[…] but most people who identify as LGBT in the UK will already be aware of the nature of certain states.

As I understand it, giving travellers themselves wholly new information is only part of the pupose of those advisories. They also create a record of officially recognized issues that you can refer to when dealing with third parties. That can come in handy if you have to explain your reservations about going or your need for special precautions to your boss or whomever. In more drastic cases they also allow you to cancel booked trips.

2 Likes

There’s all the Blues history in Mississippi, so there’s that.

2 Likes

Something akin to rumpspringa, but everyone has to go live in a squat for a couple of years and do some acid.

2 Likes

My brother went on a sales/support trip in to the backwoods and met a pleasant guy who was using the company’s rapid prototyping machines. All was going swimmingly until my brother mentioned that he’d been on a business trip to Vietnam. A very long silence ensued as the customer got a thousand stare. My brother was immediately aware of just how far in to the woods he’d gone for the meeting.

7 Likes

Late Stage Postbellumials?

That certainly seems to be the case among Christian Conservatives. Google “christian conservative sex scandals” and several pages will come up. (My personal favorite is the case of George Allen Rekers.) :grimacing:

3 Likes

Thank you so much for that. I had nearly forgotten the man who needed someone to “lift his luggage”. Although I think one of the more damning details of that story isn’t exactly about Rekers himself but, as I recall, Florida’s attorney general Bill McCollum agreed to pay Rekers more than twice the state’s usual fee for expert testimony over the objections of his own staff.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.