British Airways to buy 200 Boeing 737 MAX jets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/18/british-airways-to-buy-200-boe.html

3 Likes

One assumes they are buying the entire software package? One hopes?

3 Likes

Given that the MAX will likely be the safest jet Boeing has ever made after all this extra scrutiny it is undergoing now for being re-certified for flight, I would say that’s a very smart business move.

It is certainly not any “Brexit Deathjet Deathliner”.

10 Likes

That’s Brexit Deathliner, Jan.

22 Likes

No, they probably won’t.
Technically.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-17/boeing-says-it-s-open-to-name-change-for-grounded-737-max-jet

5 Likes

I’m sure Airbus’s 14,000 employees in the UK are just thrilled to hear this news.

10 Likes

Just articles to leave here:

7 Likes

Will they use Rob’s suggested moniker? Maybe not.

4 Likes

The underlying problem remains: Boeing implemented a software fix to make the plane handle like a plane built with different aerodynamic properties so the airlines wouldn’t have to pay for additional pilot training.

Any fix that actually addresses that problem would largely negate the cost savings of this plane, and any fix that doesn’t address it is really just a band-aid.

18 Likes

Just lite version, they can go to Google Play and get the full Boeing suite for $1.95.

7 Likes

Is the name of my new band.

18 Likes

The tag for this post says “Travel”, but I can definitely think of a better one… “FIRE SALE!!!”

6 Likes

Seems to me a “Letter of Intent” goes a long way to help boost Boeing shares and possibly sway public sentiment.

Feels like slimy Boeing PR.

4 Likes

I hear they brought in Elon - full self flying capability is just around the corner.

2 Likes

Came to this thread expecting delicious snark, was not disappointed :wink:

3 Likes

Isn’t it a bit of a jump to say that scrutiny has a 1:1 correlation with safety? I mean, I expect the planes won’t be allowed to fly again until the issue that caused the crashes is resolved, but that doesn’t mean the planes will be the safest EVAR.

3 Likes

tumblr_ouad4ka2TJ1r1ult6o1_400

3 Likes

13 Likes

Which reminds me, I haven’t heard from @Death in quite a while. Has he been on holidays, again?

(Flying boing, I presume.)

5 Likes

This isn’t Boeing to end well: Plane maker to scrap some physical cert tests, use computer simulations instead

This is about the development of the new 777X, but it also mentions the 737 MAX:
It has since come to light that the version of MCAS installed aboard production 737 Maxes was not the same version initially demonstrated to regulators overseeing the development of the jet.

8 Likes