British Drivers Swearing

‘Cockwomble’ is off the menu: Uncle Bulgaria issues edict against using name in vain

1 Like

I couldn’t see more than one side on that very narrow lane bordered by hedges. Maybe it was a case of someone driving the wrong way on a one-way street. :thinking:

Probably not. They have roads like that. Quite a lot, actually.
And the locals usually drive just a bit faster than you’d expect.

4 Likes

Wow. I wonder if there’s footage of two cars passing each other on a road like that (without one of them crashing).

2 Likes

On a road that narrow, there will be occasional wide spots where people can pull over. That still doesn’t solve the obstructed view problem, though.

I remember driving down a road like that in Wales. It freaked the hell out of me.

4 Likes

The thought of driving around a narrow curve and risking a head-on collision (with no way to avoid the other car) would freak me out, too.

2 Likes

My favorites:
“Jesus Wept!”

and:
“FUCK me in the ass!” then from passenger: “Shitting hell!”

2 Likes

It is a typical country lane, years of agriculture have created the banks either side and the hedges are allowed to grow (the hedgerows teem with wildlife mainly insect), visibility is difficult/impossible so you have to be wary, round the next bend there could easily be people riding horses/bicycles, dog walkers or a tractor (or me on a motorbike). And there always knobs who think that just because there is no speed limit they can go that fast. There are field entrances frequently so you can pull into one of them to let people through – but there are also ditches often hidden under vegetation to swallow the unwary (and fuckwits).

4 Likes

It can be quite… exhilarating.
Especially if you have to reverse back to the next wide bit.
Two small-ish cars might squeeze past each other just as long as nobody minds their paintwork being brushed a bit. Tractors, lorries, caravans, mobile homes, coaches, though…

(There is bound to be something on YouTube showing more or less every possible situation.)

1 Like

I had one episode on my UK trip where I was fervently glad that the side mirrors could fold back. That was when I was going down the high street in Aberystwyth. No damage, and I was going about 1 mph through that spot, but it was quite a tight squeeze!

3 Likes

Paradoxically, the country lanes are far safer at night, as you can see headlights from much further away.

3 Likes

I was driving my ex to work one morning when an oncoming car pulled a dumbass move and crossed the lanes.

Me: Oh, never mind the rules, you just pull out when you fucking want!!
Girlfriend: That’s what she said…

I nearly crashed laughing.

5 Likes

As long as the idiots switch them on, and not just the sidelights.
Especially at dusk.

1 Like

I think that may be my most-used expression of annoyance! For two years I was a logistics driver for British Car Auctions, which involved me and a team of five other drivers, with a team leader who planned the routes and dropped us off at private and commercial properties, we then picked up a wide variety of cars and vans and drove them to a range of different locations, often a couple of hundred miles or more away.
We’d do this two or three times a day, so over the time I was driving I did somewhere north of 100,000 miles, which meant being exposed to some prime examples of crass stupidity behind the wheel.
Failing to indicate one’s intentions before manoeuvring was a continuing source of intense annoyance, expressed, more often than not, by me shouting “use your fucking indicators, you fuckwit!”, or variations on the OP’s post.
Quite why drivers find it so sodding difficult to use that handy little stalk conveniently situated on the steering column behind the steering wheel is totally beyond my capacity to understand. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

What that article fails to recognise is the growth of cuss words like cockwomble ties in with the use of the internet and swearfilters on fora and comments pages; these portmanteaus neatly sidestep those sort of restrictions and get into general usage.

2 Likes

It works the other way, too, as residents of Scunthorpe find out all too often.

2 Likes

“Bowdlerize this!”

2 Likes

Believe me, there are many parts of the U.K. where many of the roads are the width of one vehicle, often with steep hills, blind corners, and either high hedges or stone walls on banks on both sides. Devon in particular especially near the south coast, can be very challenging, with the lanes being the width of my Skoda Octavia, hills with gradients of between 1:6 and 1:4, 90 degree bends and twenty-foot hedges dropping vertically to the tarmac on each side.
Meeting a car coming in the other direction is awkward, meeting a delivery truck, a bus, or someone towing a caravan is a nightmare!
Here in Wiltshire, narrow country lanes usually have a grass verge either side, then a hedge, so there’s some room to manoeuvre, but there are often drainage ditches next to the hedge…

6 Likes

I once woke up in a (dry) drainage ditch in Wiltshire with a bicycle laying on top of me – no accident, drink had been taken.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.