British far-right leader Dick Braine resigns

wouldn’t fool anyone

https://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Deputy-Police-Chief-Resigns-After-28-Years-on-2772315.php

5 Likes

I’m reminded of these panels from Mad Magazine’s Shermlock Shomes.

I see Braine as Whatsit and Farage as Shomes, ducking out at the last minute.

(Edit: yes, I know there were other party leaders in-between, I just like the mental image.)

5 Likes

He’s a tough guy, he can stand up and take a lickin’.

I knew a Richard with the last name Hirtz, or maybe was it Hertz.

3 Likes

His parents must have known something when he was born to give him such a fitting name. Or maybe he just grew in to it.

4 Likes

That Belle Ende? Belle Ende Encephalon?

2 Likes

Dashiell Hammett’s first published short story, “The Parthian Shot”
(from Smart Set, October 1922)

When the boy was six months old Paulette Key acknowledged that her hopes and efforts had been futile, that the baby was indubitably and irredeemably a replica of its father. She could have endured the physical resemblance, but the duplication of Harold Key’s stupid obstinacy–unmistakable in the fixity of the child’s inarticulate demands for its food, its toys–was too much for Paulette. She knew she could not go on living with two such natures! A year and a half of Harold’s domination had not subdued her entirely. She took the little boy to church, had him christened Don, sent him home by his nurse, and boarded a train for the West.

9 Likes

Hopefully, between then, the Tories, UKIP and the Brexit Party will split the vote.

Where does he get off withdrawing from his party like that?

3 Likes

Exactly. Nigel Farage has single handedly taken a decade or so to turn a one-nation Tory party into the little Englander enclave of xenophobic end-stage free-market lunacy party it is today. UKIP is now utterly irrelevant. Meanwhile Farage’s Brexit partycompany insists that Johnson’s worse-than-anything-else-deal is not pure enough and may (hopefully) split the little Englander vote in the same way Labour has ensured its lack of honesty has split the reman vote with the LibDems. If you think the last 3.5 years have been bad in the UK, wait till you see the next 6 weeks.

1 Like

I love this for a lot of reasons, but mostly because his name sounds like something the @SwearTrek account on Twitter would have as a caption.

Yeah, his brother Shitfer hasn’t made much of his life either.

6 Likes

The former Lieutenant Governor of Michigan:

Who is apparently still alive.

6 Likes

Indeed, Dead Dick is still alive, but his putrescence is no longer afflicting the State house.

3 Likes

This gives me a chance to tell of a photo a friend sent me back in the 70s of the store front of a haberdasher specializing in young male attire. His sign said “Dick Felt for Boys.”

I swear that this story is 100 percent true.

1 Like

8 Likes

Beefspear Graymatter sounds like a Game of Thrones character. No doubt a cousin of Penisless Greyjoy.

3 Likes

All in all it’s just another brick in the wall

2 Likes

The late great UT Lady Vols coach Pat Summit’s maiden name was Head and her dad’s first name was Richard. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to name their offspring.

2 Likes

Well spotted!

4 Likes