British folk horror flowering again

No, not those gentlemen.

These Gentlemen:

2 Likes

Haha i know. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to reference that movie.

3 Likes

I was sure you knew, but I had to let you know anyway.

Folk horror.

Hammer Films should take a whack at this.

1 Like

Are we thinking of getting some of that ‘free love’ action?

1 Like

Paging Warren Ellis to guide us through this dark, delightful time.

2 Likes

Yes, but I’d say The World’s End is more so. Think along the lines of The Midwich Cuckoos.

I used to go on holiday near there. I didn’t really appreciate it in my teens, but the village/town of Kirkcudbright is a nice place, definitely preferable to the nearby towns of Castle Douglas and Newton Stewart.

1 Like

I was hoping for a discussion about the Triffids …

2 Likes

Dubious verbiage makes me uncomfortable.

Read it in a Whicker voice.

“The pagan rite we are witnessing is the film itself.”

Paging Mr. Grant Morrison…Mr.Grant Morrison, you have a call on the white courtesy fount…

3 Likes

It’s interesting because I saw a resurgence in interest in '70s folk horror start to bubble up in the '90s - various bands doing covers of Wicker Man songs, for example. It’s very much picked up speed in the 201Xs - Hauntology, some Witch House music, a resurgence in interest in Nigel Kneale and the Scarfolk website being manifestations of that, along with the more explicit references in television, movies, comics. I can see how the political inward-looking spirit of Britain right now - and very specifically the act of Brexit - allows the full flowering. Brexit is sort of a time machine trying to take the UK back to the '70s in a rather sinister way. If the British folk horror thing wasn’t already coming back, that would have done it all on its own.

Sure, it’s a nice, cozy pagan ritual now, but then the horror begins…

1 Like

I’ll take the risk…

1 Like

5 Likes

The height of British folk horror:

1 Like

hmm, I guess that means they let the bees loose again.

No, not those gentlemen. These Gentlemen:

1 Like

"Sex is at the heart of this debate…
Odd. I was given to understand that British people don’t have sex.

1 Like

It’s sex, but not as we know it.

2 Likes

Brings Spinal Tap to mind, actually.

3 Likes

I have this on VHS, lol…or I used to. I originally saw it on “The Ghoul”, which was metro-Detroit’s late-night-camp-horror program back in the 1970s, and for a bit, in the 1980s.

When the one guy kills himself by running into a lorry, The Ghoul groaned, “Ohhh, I ripped my jeans!” And his mascot was named Froggy (spoiler alert), so the toad under glass got called “Froggy”, of course.

I hope you riffed on it when you watched it!

2 Likes