British government annouces anti-knifecrime chicken takeout boxes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/15/british-government-annouces-an.html

5 Likes

If boxes for fried chicken need this warning, candy bar wrappers need them more.

11 Likes

It’s possible for government to convey this kind of information to people in a way that isn’t immediately considered bigoted and patronizing. It’s also no surprise that this government has completely failed to do so.

28 Likes

Long live SPORK!

10 Likes

Sure - but what types of knives are we talking about here?

5 Likes

From the headline, I almost thought this was going to be about knife-resistant take-out boxes.

22 Likes

IKR

Anti-knifecrime Wear

7 Likes

How about banning fried chicken, if you care about the safety of your citizens.

12 Likes

Good for the chickens who haven’t already been victims of knifecrime, too. :wink:

24 Likes

Don’t worry, the rules will be overreaching, while also rather arbitrary and influenced by contemporary boogieman ideas.

Edit:
<— happens to be a vegan who carries knives daily. Too bad.

7 Likes

Perhaps they should just hire Millwall fans to work at KFC.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Look man, it’s supposed to make me aware of knife-crime, not completely arose both my libido and appetite.

2 Likes

Related?

2 Likes

I thought maybe there had been a recent spree of people using takeout chicken boxes as knives – I don’t know, maybe some kind of origami involving the wire handles? – and these boxes had a new design to prevent that.

Then, seeing the #knifefree box, I figured it meant you didn’t need a knife to open the box or cut up the chicken. But that suggested the confusing idea that kids were carrying around knives for the express purpose of opening chicken boxes, and then deciding to engage in crime as a side-effect.

16 Likes

15 Likes

My reaction: "Why would this kind of message on a fried chicken box be bigoted…

Oh.

Ooooh.

OOOOoooooooooooooh.

Yeesh."

11 Likes

com-optimize%20(2)

5 Likes

For those who are confused (because I was):
They’re not knife-free chicken boxes, they’re chicken boxes with anti-knife carry messages

Because kids who carry knives also apparently frequent chicken joints. It’s just message placement, not a clever knife-free innovation in chicken packaging.

I don’t believe there is the same tight association with fried chicken and POC in the uk that there is in the US; not sure I see racial bias here. It’s universally cack-handed.

Almost certainly a complete waste of time.

4 Likes

You have to provide your own:

3 Likes